SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 9 October 2020

UNITED STATES HEAVY (SIEGE) ARTILLERY c.1880

Here is the United States Heavy Artillery which sank two civilian river craft in the former wargame. The figures are converted plastic guardsmen of the 1970s, with my own pewter heads. The guns are quite old, must be pre-1960, perhaps as early as the 1930s. I picked them up very cheaply but they came without paint, and only their wheel hubs were remaining. Fortunately, I was able to purchase same sized metal replacements at no great expense. (Would welcome further information on those guns.) 

MGB

                                            







8 comments:

  1. I like those artillery platforms: an easy crafting job that adds a lot to the table. Is that supply wagon a DIY effort as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Spencer, as far as I know, the platforms are vital for heavy howitzers, etc. Yes, the wagon is a converted metal toy, with wheels from other sources. A sewing machine job for the canvas top. I have another still to convert, when I get some more wheels.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. This unit looks one to be reckoned with. The guns really look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allan, it was fun to bring it all together. We were both surprised in the last game how the guns destroyed two river craft with only four shots, but their range is 60inches, and misses are adjacent to the target circle. POWERFUL!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking batteries, crews, guns and all the paraphenalia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ross, it was a natural drift from my 28mm collections, but I enjoy it even more with these 54mm toy soldiers!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. The guns are made by Johilco, there were two versions on this mounting, a long barrel with a gunshield and shorter barrel without gunshield which you have here, they also used this version in their Abyssinian mountain gun battery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, that information is valuable to me, much appreciated. I had seen some that appeared similar with a shield and I did wonder if mine were 'altered'. I also came across a photo which showed various paint systems, including a camouflaged pattern, although mine had the residue of a strange metallic-purple carriage. I'm quite pleased they are Johilco, it works well with so many figures in the collection. Thanks again for replying.
      Michael

      Delete