SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 5 June 2021

FLAG FOR THE NAVAL BRIGADE

Have just completed some flags for the collection, including one for my Naval Brigade. This led me to look into the use of pit helmets by seamen (having repaired a figure with such an item). This is what I've been able to muster on the internet.

This photo is in the National Army Museum collection. Its assumed to be a rating on the far right background. Have found out elsewhere that the crew came from HMS Boadicea, and was taken in Zululand.

This print is by R. Marrion, 1984. He describes it as a Leading Seaman, Naval Brigade, serving on the Gordon Relief expedition 1885. 

                                                          

This last print is by A. May, 1980, reports to be a Petty Officer in the Naval Brigade during the 1st Boer War 1880-81. 

One sure thing, I just wish I had the ability of the above artists. I'm putting together notes, compiled thirty-five years ago, on local volunteers and would love to include a few uniform plates. 

OK, this last photo is after the Sennet Hat had been abandoned, taken in China 1937. Special mention to the website MILITARY SUN HELMETS.COM, a superb source of information, and well worth a visit.

MGB 

11 comments:

  1. The flag looks great Michael and the bearer is in a very dynamic pose! Thank you for your website reference, it's excellent and one I was not aware of! The last photo is one I have not seen before. The sun helmet was indeed one of the most important pieces of equipment and is often overlooked! And Michael, one of your gifted abilities is to take the work of these fine artists and bring it to life in toy soldier form! Great work once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind Brad, there are some superb websites and blogs out there that are the creation of enthusiastic students of history (de facto historians), and it really has allowed those of us on limited funds to draw on their efforts to better understand a period of history. Cheers again.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. The figures look great with their new flag, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allan, colours really do add to a table unit, completed seven a few days ago, mainly for the Spanish 1890s, and Ruritanian Civil War.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Superb turnout Michael - must send you the 4.7 inch guns I promised you had a few family problems. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, sorry to hear about this, uncannily, I thought about sending an email to ask on your own health, but fearful the motives might look suspect. Hope the issues have settled. I'm winding down on painting figures now but ordnance projects still capture my imagination. Hope YOU are keeping well!
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I'm fine thanks for asking; just my father who's slipped through the net during Covid and is now facing a long regime of Chemo and Radation therapy. There's three 4.7s here - I've got two seated figures cast up but hoping to get some more done tomorrow night as the memsahib is elsewhere there may be a few more Jocks and another Frenchman at the ready plus some spare heads. Will get them sorted and in the post soonest. Take care, mon ami - love the truck BTW :)

      Delete
    3. Paul, That must be a mental strain to everyone, particularly if your father is fully with us. My father has Alzheimers, and no longer recognises me. Half of him has already left this world. That batch you are clearing sounds very useful, thank you. Make no inconveniences to despatch them. Will be uploading some photos of the Franco-Spanish army soon, it really has come together.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Very attractive figures! I must say that the appearance and equipment of naval ratings on land is superb. I must stop looking I do not need anymore kit! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, see you on Friday. Suspect its cod and chips, with mushy peas.
      Michael

      Delete