SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 12 June 2022

NAVY RECRUITS (Ebay)

Rather pleased with this Ebay purchase. Costing £11.85 delivered, these naval figures will be very useful. The two Wrens will not be touched (you have my word). But the others will be paint stripped and repainted. Most will be attached to my French 1870-1930 collection.

Four are unusual English-made castings. I assume they represent Royal Navy, but shoulder rifles in the French manner, on their right side. Sometime back Paul Watson sent me one of these figures, and it painted up well as a French seaman, a hat pompom being the only conversion. Three others will be likewise converted to French, to man a ship's gun. The remaining Crescent figure will join my RN fleet. 

Well, no need to fork out money trying to get some Starlux 'marin' toy soldiers, this now gives me ten figures manning my two French gunboats.

Here are the figures completed, and now serving on my French gunboats.
Please note, due to other projects, I'll be reducing my number of blog postings.
MGB

14 comments:

  1. Great work. I look forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Q, priorities must be to replace my garden fence, lol.

      Delete
  2. What a great purchase MGB and looking splendid as marins francais

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, a nice addition to my French collection!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Tony, the fleet is about to sail.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic job, skipper - glad the matelots got some shipmates. You've really done the 'Navy Lark' proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, the naval contingent is something I am particularly pleased with. Now busy replacing a garden fence, lol. Michael

      Delete
  5. Wonderful figures Michael! They look right at home aboard your beautiful gunboats! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, Brad. I also think they look appropriate on the toy ships, Scales have to take a backseat with 54mm figures.

      Delete
  6. Suitably inspirational. I have been gifted by family a handful of some of the plastic (Starlux?) French sailors you recently featured. A project for the winter ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I like the Starlux 'Marin' range, but the above will do the job nicely. Have also seen unpainted, blue plastic copies, in various scales.
      Michael

      Delete