SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 15 July 2022

WHITEANCO 'BARNEY' TOY TANK 1919

My plasticard model is inspired by a toy tank manufactured by the Liverpool based company WHITEANCO. This was designed by a veteran of WW1, Lieutenant Colonel Walter 'Barney' Barnard, as a tin-plate, wind-up toy. He originally offered the design to Mecanno, but they declined. Whiteanco embraced the idea and started manufacturing it in 1919. I do think its a rather splendid collectable. Examples still appear in auctions, normally selling for about £300. 

Here is my rendition. I don't mind admitting, I had some issues concerning the colour, which led to it being left on the shelf for some time.  My initial paint attempt ended in something peach coloured, that had to go. The second attempt was far too yellow, that had to go too. Have ended up with Ordnance grey, which is a nice contrast to the national emblems. The E1 refers to Whiteanco's model number.

(For my Dominion War campaign, this tank has a crew of six, and can fire two medium guns per move. this is the largest of my plasticard armoured vehicles.)


Original, typically in this deep yellow-orange, although I have seen one in dark brown. The first model, made by Barney, is apparently still owned by members of his family.


AIR CADETS c1939
As a follow-on to the above post, completed four figures for my WW2 British Home-Front army. Its a  company of senior Air Cadets, dressed in surplus 1920s RAF uniforms and puttees. They were originally lead WW1 figures needing new heads and rifle barrels (Cheers Paul!).
MGB

6 comments:

  1. It is beautiful work. What did you make it out of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Q, sheets of modelling plasticard. Available in white, black, or clear. I buy the former to allow my calculations in pencil to be seen. No way could I afford genuine tin-plate toys! Would not like to make duplicates, but I have a fair level of 'first time luck', and it also gave me a fleet of gunboats.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Ordnance Grey was an excellent choice Michael, it looks great! It is a wonderful tribute to Lt. Colonel Barnard! I have also found brownish khaki a very difficult color to reproduce when painting toy soldiers and vehicles. It is often too orange, too yellow, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention 'khaki', Brad. It took me ages to mix a suitable British Army khaki brown which I was happy with. Its a nasty colour to try and mix. No wonder so many toy soldiers were sold in very strange colours. You really do need to see the actual cloth close-up, and then at a distance, to get something that can represent it! Yes, I'm happy to have gone over to Ordnance Grey. I bet 'Barney' must have been quite a character.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. The 'Tank Museum' does wooden WW1 tank kit http://tonystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2021/03/hmls-progress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, Have seen their wooden toy tanks. My feeling is, they are too large for my table space. I've sized my plasticard model to be prominent but still work with my 12 figure battalions, trees, houses, etc.
      Michael

      Delete