SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 26 August 2022

FRENCH CUIRASSIERS & CHASSEURS 1870-1900

My French army has been destitute of cavalry for far too long. My British collection could muster six regiments, but games rarely used five, and typically one or two. One unit was not my favourite, some plastic Blues & Royals. These figures were not bad, but lacked reins, and could not match the pleasure of using my metal alternatives. Decided to have a go at converting them.

Here are my two French cuirassier regiments, and a brigade commander. The original five plastic figures were supplemented with three lead castings from Paul Watson, and one more in my spares box. With odd metal bits  from various suppliers, this project was hardly cheap. All told, the figures and spares must have totalled about £24. Still, they will be much more useful in my wargames.

Work under progress.
Sources

The second project was finding a use for six odd lead figures. All were formerly Guardsmen, including three Bandsmen with trombones. They also came with half-gaiters. Here they are serving as French light infantry, undertaking some construction work.
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant conversions with the bandsmen Michael! The cuirassiers are wonderful and give your French army a cavalry force to be reckoned with! Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, I am genuinely pleased with the cuirassiers, an unwanted unit and spares turned into something quite vital to another collection, and the same can be said for the odd figures in half-gaiters. The French army is looking complete, at last.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Some clever conversion work there ! , you would have never guessed at the original figures .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, Tony. I would like to have some genuine Britains cuirassiers too, but they often go for bold amounts, typically £20 each. While solid recasts are still about £9 each.
      A bit too high to be justified.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Very impressive cuirassiers and the band conversions are brilliant! I've been looking for some Britain's cuirassiers for my French force but finding them at a price that doesn't stretch the wallet a bit more than I am comfortable with has been a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think we are not alone, the cost of original Britains French cavalry is very high, and new casts are still quite expensive. For me, I also had a unit of British cavalry, plus some spares, that were going to waste. As it turns out, for an additional £7, they are now much more useful. Mind you, the milliput work was time consuming but vital, the French horse furniture and epaulettes are quite distinct.
      Michael

      Delete