SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 8 November 2022

NEW ADDITIONS COMPLETED, November 8

This is a wonderful gain for my French Army c1900. Thanks are due to George Mills for kindly donating it towards my collection. I do appreciate this. My deficit in French artillery has received a most welcome addition. Went to work painting and varnishing the gunners.

On a similar note. This French mountain gun has been constructed from bits in my spares box, and the two crew are converted plastic Guardsmen. Will construct a third gunner at a later date.
c.1900 French postcard

George also forwarded four home-cast pure lead figures. I must confess, these old figures had little facial detail, and their naval caps required reconstituting. I used milliput to create a new cap edge, and pompom. I'm happy with the results, and with paint and varnish, they have provided a crew for my second French gunboat....... vital!
Old Print

Another batch of figures kindly sent by George were these 1960s plastic British Army figures. Here they are with rifles repaired. I used a lit matchstick to lightly burn any roughing on the plastic due to wear and age, it did the job.
The additional six Heralds have allowed me to complete two 12-figure battalions.
Those fun pencil sharpeners from Ebay have been suitably converted and painted for the wargaming table. The gatling gun has been given Spanish colours.

Those Deetail Saracen-Turks recently acquired from a local shop have been given a revamp, and a coat of varnish to protect them.

I had to purchase a mounted knight to provide an additional blue horse cloak for my Turks, here it is with its new Styria coat of arms.

Finally, George sent me this 60mm Crescent Mexican bandit, made in the 1960s. Despite its size and unlikely usage, I took an instant like to the figure. Pleased to have restored the pistol, and given it new paintwork.
MGB

12 comments:

  1. Nice jobs but the Mexican is Crescent. (HK copies were also made).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Q, I better change that, can confirm its old, dating back to the 60s.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. All good stuff. I particularly like the French gunboat crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tim, you know its a morale boost when something rather base turns into a colourful piece for the gaming table....... and its my mindset that every gunboat must have an official crew, though they can be deployed elsewhere. The other French gunboat is actually in a war-game at this very moment, so far, doing rather well!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Ross, some of the above have already been used in a war-game (part one) earlier today.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. I had that Mxican figure as a child one of my favorite Cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I had several in this range too. It will be fun to see how it gets used!
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work as always Michael! The artillerymen and naval crew are excellent! They should work well in your games! And the Mexican is so full of life, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, the more I look at that Mexican bandit, the more I think its a time capsule to the 1960s, I just recently watched A FEW DOLLARS MORE, Not sure which came first, but they are clearly linked, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. You have done an incredible job with these Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, a batch of twenty-nine WW2 Soviet figures have recently arrived, part of a swap deal for the ECW figures you were clearing.
      Michael

      Delete