SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 10 February 2023

FRENCH CAVALRY ARRIVE (New or Old Additions?)

My late-19th century French army has just gained two regiments of cavalry. Or at least I think they have. I must confess, I'm a little confused as to what they actually represent. I'm assuming they are some kind of colonial mounted infantry unit. Anyhow, I think they look good, and they will allow this army to field some light cavalry. A nice surprise for me, I picked up these nine castings, attractively painted, for only £22 plus £6 postage. They do appear to be very similar to Britains, but are they?  The horses, however are not strictly hollow-cast, they remind me of some horses produced by American companies in the 1950-60s. One sword blade will need to be drilled out and replaced, and there are some minor chips on the horses legs, but no paint stripping here. I would be happy putting them straight on the table in any game.

I really would welcome any further information on these figures, either their manufacturer, or portrayal.

MGB

6 comments:

  1. They look like Chasseurs d' Afrique with a fez- like hat instead of the usual kepi Michael. They have a very Dorset vibe about them, but I'm not sure. Very lovely figures, and best of all, they are basically table-ready! Enjoy and have a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. I did look initially at that corps, but disregarded it. With your comment I looked again, linking it with the fez. You were right, the figures are wearing the fatigue and/or barrack uniform. And I can utilise these figures for quite a wide period too. A splendid gain for the collection. And I am now suspecting you are on the ball concerning the Dorset manufacture too. Cheers!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Q, they really are a very useful addition, and to get them ready painted too is most welcome.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Nice looking figures odd semi hollow idea , I suppose to cut down on metal .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A most welcome addition, Tony. I think Brad may be right in suggesting they are Dorset Miniatures. As these figures aren't so old, I might tidy up some of the artwork, etc. But its hardly urgent.
      Michael

      Delete