SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 12 September 2023

WW2 US infantry and British Searchlight Regt.

Another painting-spell with my American collection has furnished seven more figures. With these now sorted I've been able to fully man and complete a number of gaming units. The figures are Timpo 1960s.

My Lone Star double-barrelled HMG now has two crew. I don't like too many loose figures so fixed these to the trailer, the gun can still be turned almost a full circle.


My M30 Half Track has finally gained a crew. One to serve the LMG, the other is armed with a bazooka. I wanted it to have some firing capacity.
Three figures allowed me to complete a ten-man infantry unit, a HMG team, and a command base.
Original figures acquired.

As a follow-on to the above, decided to redistribute one of my Lone Star bren gun carriers. It is now attached to another Lone Star item so as to represent the 60th Searchlight Regiment. This British unit was raised in the county of Middlesex, and operated during 1940 to 1942. I made a point of adding their battalion field sign, in gold and crimson, wherever I could.
WW2 LIVING HISTORY GROUP

Another Lone Star bren gun carrier has been transferred to my 'modern' British 1950s army. This one is also able to operate a mortar. The driver is still loose as I may decide to construct another.

Lastly, constructed a driver for my W. Britains jeep recently acquired. I am keen not to paint strip this model but unfortunately, my attempts to cover occasional paint damage has not really worked. I may have to consider distressing some edges of the jeep with earth colours to merge my green with the original paintwork. But I am pleased with the repair job on the broken front car bumper.
MGB

10 comments:

  1. That Lone Star HMG is awesome Michael, and the half track is excellent too! The Searchlight looks quite close to the real thing and will be a great addition to your table! I think that your idea to distress the Jeep will work perfectly, it would never look pristine out in the field! All very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. The jeep does need something done, but just a little to stop it catching my eye on the table. Yes, I thought the searchlight model was just a toy imagination, but here is a photo showing that they did exist! Well done Lone Star.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful to see these old figures transformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Q. I do like the fact that they have some real age, and some that were quite broken are back on active service, often as useful seated figures.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks MJT. My gaming room is quite pleasant now the Sun is a little lower, time to consider some actual wargaming with the new toys, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. What is the search light made from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Q. it is a genuine Lone Star item, made of hard plastic. But would be easy to duplicate with plastic lids, etc. The LS Searchlight was sold both fixed to a truck, and also on a trailer, have seen boxed examples for both.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. More retired or wounded veterans, returned to shiny active service. Bravo! A stylish searchlight team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it really is part of my hobby to see these old toy soldiers repainted and shiny. My Searchlight Regiment will be attached to my Home Guard battalion, all very old lead figures.
      Michael

      Delete