SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 6 October 2023

WORKING ON SOME OTHER PROJECTS (OCT.2023)

Have recently acquired some very useful plastic storage boxes. This has allowed me to reorganise my toy soldier collection, and some associated scenic items.  I now think it's a good time to redecorate my games room, actually the dining room, as it really does need it. So the tables will have to be dismantled to ease access to the walls. And I will also use the occasion to give my book collection a much needed clean.

Will be having a few weeks break from posting on the blog so as to complete the above, and I also want some exclusive time to work on my research papers.

Rather pleased to report that my hobby projects have been greatly reduced, although there is still a box of figures needing some cast arms and heads to complete. It really is nice to see so little unpainted lead lying around.  

Hope to be posting again in November. Here are a few figures recently completed.

Some 1960s Timpo-made US Military Police

The Box that Keeps on Giving furnished two more WW2 Dutch infantry, and two more London Scottish infantry.
And a new flag for my 19th century Hanoverian infantry.
The Headless Box, full of figures needing Spare Parts
And the actual Spares Box, many of which are also nearly sorted!
MGB

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your game room project Michael! Your new additions all look marvelous, especially the standard bearer, so very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. Popped into a local store and picked up the paints and rollers yesterday evening. Plan to empty the room this morning, finish off the plasterwork, and paint the ceiling. Should be able to get the first coat on the walls too. I will give everything a second coat tomorrow. The skirting boards are rather good. The weather is fine so can dump furniture outside, a nice weekend in October!
      Regards. Michael

      Delete
  2. Nice work MGB - that's a nice lot of MPs to keep a bit of order.
    Good luck with the DIY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT. A barber's appointment at 8.30am, then I will go all out on this decorating project. Want it sorted before any changes in the weather. Just about to add a photo of the 'still to complete' box, mostly Schleswig and WW1 figures, I like to record on the blog all my war-game projects.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Love the 19th century Hanovarians. And really like how you have done the background from that old tv show that you mentioned looks so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinn, I just can't throw any good cardboard away....... one day they will find me buried under a pile of the stuff! Yes, I too think the Hanoverian battalion is a rather nice addition, as is the Schleswig collection.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Good to see the actual spares box at last. I am still working through the Jiffy bag of the big and small plastic spares and repairs that you sent me several years ago.
    The headless figures could well be your Halloween post.
    Or
    Harry Potter's headless hand me down Toy Soldiers from his bedroom "Under the stairs"
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2021/09/26/harry-potters-headless-toy-soldiers-in-the-cupboard-under-the-stairs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I am reminded of an episode in the US comedy show ROSANNE', it concludes with her young son sawing off heads of Barbie dolls, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Mike - nothing like that feeling of completed projects to keep the motivation up - best wishes as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, George. Do keep in touch. It's 3pm here, about to have a meal. Have used the first half of the day to paint the dining room ceiling and to sand some wall plasterwork...... it does look nice and clean!
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Of course Mike - I'll let you know when I am next in the area. Look forward to seeing the projects in person.

      Delete