SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which greatly enhanced several collections.

Tuesday 23 July 2024

DANISH CAVALRY and More (July 23)

                                                             DANISH CUIRASSIERS

It was time to raise a cavalry unit for my mid 19th century Danish army. These old lead figures probably date back to the 1930s, or earlier. The ceremonial red breastplates certainly add some distinction. 

Repaired
Original Condition
1864 uniforms, but will serve in my 1848 collection
Two Danish staff officers have also been completed. The one on foot is from the 'box that keeps on giving', this must be the final figure from that cheap yet brilliant auction win. It was formally a solid lead marching fireman. And the mounted officer utilised the fireman's helmet, it's a converted Deetail Civil War officer.
Danish Cavalry General

SPANISH COLONIAL CAVALRY

This North African unit has needed an officer for several years, have finally sorted it out!

New heads are added.

FRENCH MARINES
I have two battalions of lead French Marines, decided they warranted a mounted staff officer.

MOUNTAIN ARTILLERY UNIT
I purchased these painted figures on eBay and paid a fairly high price, £11.94 delivered. They are solid castings, probably Dorset, but similar to Johillco. I think the figures represent Chinese? Tempted to let them float around with no particular army. But then I'm tempted to use the wheels and barrel elsewhere.

TWO SICILIES GRENADIERS 
My anti-Garibaldi contingent has gained a company of Sicilian Guard Grenadiers for 1848. The old Timpo figures are perfect for this unit, requiring no conversion work whatsoever. Mind you, their uniform is totally French napoleonic in appearance.
1848, looks more like 1815.

SORTING OUT MY AIRFORCE
A couple of jobs completed on my modest airforce. This tinplate plane has been mentioned before, but the British roundels were well faded. As I wanted at least one aircraft in my collection to have American markings, decided to construct my own transfers. My second job was to make a simple stand which I could place the biplane on, to better capture the atmosphere of  'toyshop' wargames.

MGB

REPLYING TO COMMENTS FROM FRIENDS

Thanks Donnie. I'm likely to stick with just one cavalry unit per side for my Schleswig collection. I can always draft some more from other collections if a war-game requires it. For example, the Ruritanian cavalry look very similar. I enjoyed repairing the old castings, and with metal rods, the broken legs are as good as new.

Thank you, MJT. When I found the old prints with the Danish cuirassiers having red breastplates, had to represent them in the collection. And the two mounted officers sort of completes the other units. I now have three units/squadrons of Spanish colonial cavalry, and they do look interesting! 

Cheers Brad. Concerning this upload, repairing the old lead figures was a real pleasure, but it's the wood and wire stand for the tin aircraft that I'm chuffed about. The tin models always looked great, but without this simple addition they were uninvolved. Now they actually contribute to both the visual impact and also the game. (Being tin they are a lot heavier than the smaller scale plastic models, it was an old wire hanger that sorted out the weight problem.) 

Thanks Quinn. Completing the Danish cavalry was an enjoyable project. Only problem, I now want another cavalry unit for each side............. does it ever end! 

4 comments:

  1. Those old cavalry look great in their new uniforms, very striking. I like the colonial cavalry too, they look great with their officer as do the French marines, super work all round and great additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Cuirassiers look fantastic MGB, as indeed do the Spanish Cavalry and Le Troupe de Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work all round Michael! Those red breast plates are awesome, they look great! The North African unit and the French Marines are wonderful, they really add an exotic flair to your units! Your tin plane is perfect and it will make a brilliant accompaniment to your collection of tin armoured cars! Your armies just keep getting better and better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Danish cavalry are superb Michael and the flight stand for your toy airplane is very effective
    Best wishes- Quinn

    ReplyDelete