This first half of 2026 has been a rather interesting year. I fought a high street bank in a court of law, I spent four weeks on the island of Malta, another four was spent in the Duchy of Cornwall, several weeks more staying at friends, and I recently moved into my new home. Although my gaming table and collections have had to remain in storage, I hope regular visitors will enjoy some accumulated travel content. Health permitting, and God willing, I have a fair amount to upload.
MALTA, an island fortress in the Mediterranean
In late April, while solicitors worked on securing my next home, I found some temporary accommodation on Malta. This island had been a location I've wanted to visit for both historical and personal reasons. Firstly, I have always been interested in the Great Siege of 1565, involving the Ottoman Turks against the Knightly Order of St. John. Then we have the occupation of 1798 when Napoleon Bonaparte's French revolutionaries expelled the knights. But the common people of Malta suffered under French rule and staged an uprising. They also sent word to the British asking for support. The Maltese got on fairly well with the British military, and they ended up adopting King George the Third as their monarch, in the hope the British would not later negotiate the island back to the French. During WW2 the island came under very heavy bombing by both the Italians and Germans, but the islanders held out and were awarded the George Cross Medal. The latter appears on their national flag. And in the l950s my late father spent some time there while serving in the Fleet Air Arm. In 1956 the Maltese actually voted for unification with Britain (77%) but the British Government rejected the application for fear numerous others would also seek to do the same.
The Grand Master's Palace
The highlight of my month long stay was a visit to the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of St.John. The Armoury collection of late Medieval and early renaissance armour and weaponry was absolutely fascinating, this is what a military museum should look like! I think I've taken some nice photos but nothing can replace the actual visit, and I don't mind admitting it has altered my views on armour production, toy soldier paintwork, and how to display a collection.











SOME VIEWS OF VALLETTA
My window view
Fireworks Competition, a two hour spectacular. I zoomed in and took lots of film footage to record the occasion. I can assure you the scale was equal to New Years events in London. Ferry Crossing to Valletta



















































Great phots Michael. Those armouries look amazing. So much armour and so many helmets! One of those would look fantastic on my wargames room wall. I have not (touch wood) experienced any problems with Blogger since my return. I am sure everyone will be patient while you get the more important aspects of your life sorted out. I wish you every success with the project and look forward to the day your toy soldiers re enter the fray!
ReplyDeleteThanks Graham, it has certainly been a very, very strange year, but I'm beginning to feel at home. Chris has been regularly visiting, and helping out. My washing machine is expected to arrive any day, lol. And my stored furniture should follow in batches. On the positive side, the property layout is splendid, and the town is beautiful. The neighbours seem a down-to-earth, pleasant lot. Looking forward to viewing the medieval castle and several museums. Hope a friend of a friend can help with the roof repairs. The property is c.1900 and part of a conservation area, and I want to support this worthy objective. I'm also seeking a suitable Victorian cast iron surround for the coal burning fire. So much to do on a limited budget. There is no wargames club here, but there is a Warhammer group, divided into two age groups. There is also a remote control model aircraft club. The town park is a few minutes walk away, and quite splendid with its river and period bridges.
DeleteMichael
That all sounds very positive Michael. Perhaps I should relocate Apperley Towers lol!
DeleteWell, the town certainly has more than its fair share of positives. Chris said, it reminds him of rural England in 1985, and it's true!
DeleteThis was a really great and informative blogpost Michael. I saw it as an update among the blog-links on my blog, so I guess you don't suffer from the blogger issue with late updating, or no updating at all, on other blogs linking to it. I'm noticing that these late link updates applies for even more blogs now. I guess more would notice if they checked another blogg they know are linking to them, when posting updates on their own. Luckily there is a way around it and that is to manually refresh your blog-feed on:
ReplyDeletehttps://feedburner.google.com/
I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced challenges regarding your bank (when coming to house change?). I'm glad that it finally seems to sort out for the best though. It brought you to Malta thought, and all these new wonderfully museums and experiences. Thanks for sharing them with us. Really impressive!
I look forward to that WW2-museum blogpost when you get around to it.
Congratulations on the new place!
Thanks Roger. I briefly put this post up only to find it failed to circulate after several hours, had a check on forums and heard about the 'issues' hitting bloggers. So I took it down, and then reposted it an hour later. This morning it was circulating, but it does make you wonder what is going on.
DeleteFor the record, concerning the black rat bank, I have never been in arrears with them in forty-six years, including my business accounts. The issue concerned my parents mortgage term expiring due to their death and a slow property market. Even the judge openly declared this was a unusual case, I had done all that could be expected, and wished me success, and the bank acknowledged I was representing my late parents in the court. (I also chose not to have a lawyer, they don't need my money!).
My property has no mortgage, and if I had one it would be with a building society, like the excellent Nationwide. As an Arian Christian, I consider usury unchristian.
Yes, Roger, it has been a traumatic two years, but my faith and love in God never came into doubt, regardless of the actions men might take. And recently there has been some interesting expeditions which God granted me health enough to enjoy. Roger, the next post is already sorted for a few days time.
Michael.
Nice to see you back in the blogosphere Michael and a cracking way to come back!! The pictures of all the armours are so very interesting, mind boggling in fact, super stuff.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Donnie. And pleased to see you are back in action too! I guess those going to Malta rarely visit the armoury. There is hardly anything on the internet, but it is a wonderful collection. I genuinely feel privileged to have seen it, and not in a hurried way. I spent about five hours viewing, and then viewing again.
DeleteMichael
What a wonderful post Michael! Your photos are excellent and so comprehensive, I really feel like I was right there with you! I'm so glad that you are enjoying your new home, I wish you all the best!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, Brad. I think I've travelled enough for a while, and there are quite a few historical landmarks around the town to excite my interest. I have also given my word to a number of friends that I will try harder to bring my extensive notes together on two 18th century subjects. .So many projects!
DeleteMichael
Great to see you back among the bloggers Michael and glad to hear things are settling on the domestic front. The collection of armour is amazing and the architecture stunning, with such military heritage it's surprising they never produced any miniatures, if only for the tourist trade. Would love to see the garrison of ginger cats!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, Brian, while crossing the bridge I spotted three cats patrolling the main lane to the fortifications, but made nothing of it. It was after my return that I read that the island has a load of them, that they are semi feral, but some locals and ex-pats deliver provisions. Had I known, I would have paid my border toll to enter their territory. I went in the morning so most of the sentries would have been preparing to retire for the mid-day.
DeleteBrian, I have a view on this. The Maltese survived for centuries working in the naval dockyards, while others grew crops for themselves and awaiting ships. But this life never encouraged indoor hobbies. These days, football and water sports dominate, and why not, they can go outside all year round. In many ways they are like Sicilians. It is also interesting that while large numbers of the latter moved to the US, the Maltese moved to the UK, Australia, and Canada, but then, they too were children of the Old Empire, and arguably more loyal than some others.
Michael