A NEW ADDITION TO MY FRENCH ARMY 1870-1914
Some years back I painted up a handful of French infantry as the Paris Fire Brigade. This might initially appear to be a rather strange addition to my French Army, but there is a good reason.
Brigade des sapeurs-pompiers de Paris (BSPP)
Historically, the Paris firemen are part of the French Army, to be more precise, they are a corps of engineers and sappers. To this claim, they are also an emergency medical unit, and as early as 1898 they included not only fire engines, but also ambulances.
For some time my petit unit (it numbers four) was attached to a toy armoured car but it was always my intention to furnish something more appropriate as their own transport. Recently, I spotted a job lot on three Del Prado fire engines. At the discounted price of £8.39, including delivery, I thought this was a rather good buy. Here are the French designed machines, the bases do unscrew.
First up is a 1/43 scale Pompe Automobile Electrique. Amazingly, this 1900 contraption actually ran on electricity! Now I know the scale is not correct but am I alone in thinking it doesn't look that out of place as part of a 54mm toy soldier collection? Del Prado scales are rather large when compared to traditional toy soldiers. My intention is to convert a suitable driver, supplied with their distinctive brass Adrian helmet. I'm also thinking of attaching a trailer with tools, or even a pontoon boat, befitting a corps of sappers.
Next up is another 1/43 scale model. This is an 1897 horse drawn Fourgon Depart Attele. I haven't decided which army will receive this fire engine but I'm thinking either British or American. It is worth remembering, while all the main powers produced their own engines, they were actually quite similar to one another in design.
And here is the star attraction, which initiated my interest in the job lot. It is a 1/32 scale Steamer Durenne Keres of 1907. I do like this model, and I suspect it will be drafted into my British Army. It too will be supplied with a team of horses. I'm thinking of recruiting some Airfix firemen, or perhaps even a few of the splendid Tradition Figures in metal. We will see.
Here are a few old photos for research purposes, no copyright infringement intended, no profit. Some French teams.
A British example
Here is that rather magical French electric vehicle.
This American photograph is interesting as the crew have European style helmets, they are normally much wider brimmed.A British example, and very similar to the 1/32 model.
And Finally, I was chuffed to find this example of a manhandled fire cart in the Museum of Dartmoor Life. I am seriously thinking about scratch building an example. ANOTHER MUSEUM IN CORNWALL
Having previously mentioned the superb toy museum in Liskeard, I can confirm this small town had a second centre for historical artefacts. The Stuart House is a 17th century property on the high street which a local preservation society has restored, and now manned by volunteers. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but it was a nice day to go out. To my surprise, it included a small armoury dedicated to the English Civil War. And if that was not enough, I had a rather nice Cornish Cream Tea while I was there!









A GIFT FROM A FRIEND
Behind this blog, Brian Carrick of the Plastic Warrior Show and Magazine has been keeping post with me on this rather strange year, having also put aside a box of surplus figures which he thought might lend themselves to future service in my collection. Well, that box duly arrived on the 10th of August, and the contents were a dazzle to my eyes with the shear number of possibilities.
First up were a collection of plastic West Point Cadets bandsmen, and one metal sentry. These are certainly Timpo style. No conversion work here, I want these as they are. An attractive addition to my late 19th century United States Army. Next up, a handful of Medievals. Some restoration work required, which I will enjoy. You can never have enough bowmen. The knight will join my Italian Guelph armiy.The Third batch are some ever-so-70s plastic Guardsmen. I'd mentioned to Brian I have long planned a fun project, to paint up a Kelloggs marching band, comprising Kelloggs freebies. Time to start.And here we have the fourth contingent. Yes, some Herald ACW figures. In my opinion these are some of the best ACW toy soldiers ever made, although I will be painting them to represent 1860s Italians (shock and horror).
A mixed parcel next. I shall enjoy seeing how these are repaired and integrated. By the way, a fashion developed among Italian despots in the 15th century to have court dwarfs as jesters......
And finally, a few character figures. The first has a statue like stance which seems like a potential plan. The second I've been wanting to acquire for some time, part of the William Grant's Scotch Whiskey range of figures. The third is a seated lady, possibly Wild West linked, useful for a vintage car.
And now the last figure. Made by Charbens, it is Winston Churchill in a naval uniform c.1945. However, this particular moulded figure is far too thin, so I have an alternative plan.

I intend to use Milliput to extend the coat length, so as to recreate Churchill as the First Lord of the Admiralty in 1911. I will also replace the damaged foot and base.
Thank you very much, Brian, for your generosity and support!
AUSTRALIAN WW2 OFFICER CONFIRMATIONMy friend Graham Apperley was convinced in the previous post that an unknown lead W.Britains figure was an Australian officer in battledress from box 2031. Have found this photo confirming such.
https://www.treefrogtreasures.com/p-40147-australian-infantry-battle-dress.aspx?srsltid=AfmBOopx1CnCM57U_L-f9Re7iZ0OI2w_pbdB1cZYQyA1sxzUQC7TRiF0Private William Thomas Ward
A visit to The Museum of Dartmoor Life

Well, I still want to see some photographic evidence he was that good a shot!

MGB
No comments:
Post a Comment