This post has a strong Aeronautic theme, and a chance for me to assess how part of my toy gaming collection has developed.
In a recent post on Tales from the Toy Room (see website links), Graham Apperley mentioned picking up a rather splendid toy aircraft. He presently believes it could be a 1983 reproduction of an old model made by CBG Mignot of France. For my part, I have on file a fair number of photos of original pre1970 aircraft and thought these might prove of interest.
This first is described as a Gescha, made in Germany during the 1950s.
I don't know who produced this second toy, but what a fun creation.And here we have a third, described as a GBL R-38, the size is 7" x 10".
Number four is a French-made toy, possibly a Simon & Rivollet model of a Bleriot XI. I suspect it is made of lead.


And also number six, another Simon & Rivollet.


This seventh is 60mm by 83mm. Again by S & R.
Number eight is a splendid Italian made 1920s INGAP-PADUA toy. WOW, I think this is my favourite.


Number nine is another fun piece.


Number ten is an American 1929 Katz toy, rather neat!



Number eleven was commissioned by the US company Marx, but I suspect it was made in Japan, that star is Japanese Army!

Despite a hefty load of home projects, decided to have a spell painting some toy soldiers. In my previous post I mentioned Brian Carrick had donated a fair number of mainly 1960s toy soldiers. Most of these required repairing, but the potential was high. Here are the first batch.The Churchill figure was about 70mm tall, with badly chewed legs and base. Here it is reduced to about 56mm and with a longer dress coat. This figure will captain my toy flat iron gunboat.
Brian forwarded four more Robin Hood figures. Here they are repaired and based. One has been converted into a bombard crewman with a Tommy helmet.

I'm rather pleased with this new command base, representing Mantua, Italy. The dwarf is a converted plastic Kelloggs freebie, the medieval lady is a metal home-cast kindly sent by Graham Apperley, I added some milliput to the sleeves and skirt.Have also spent some time restoring a few old lead figures.Graham Apperley generously sent me two extra Crescent naval ratings, enabling me to complete a German crew of four.I picked up a Timpo zoo keeper which will work fine as a French gunboat captain. You may have noticed some distinction to the figure bases, I want each of my repro gunboats to have a linked
Brian forwarded four more Robin Hood figures. Here they are repaired and based. One has been converted into a bombard crewman with a Tommy helmet.

I'm rather pleased with this new command base, representing Mantua, Italy. The dwarf is a converted plastic Kelloggs freebie, the medieval lady is a metal home-cast kindly sent by Graham Apperley, I added some milliput to the sleeves and skirt.
Also shown is an old Dulcop Italian-made plastic knight, the serpent engraved shield makes it perfect for my Milanese army.
SOME METAL ADDITIONS
In my spares box was a treasure chest. I have long thought the Guelph-Ghibelline Wars were less to do with Pope versus Emperor, and more to do with which family secured a particular city's revenue, so this addition seems quite appropriate.
And now for something completely different (as Monty Python would announce). Using some Kelloggs cornflakes freebie bandsmen of the 1970s I'm raising an American Kelloggs marching band. Decided to adopt the US Marine uniform, with some brown bearskins I had on file for a Californian militia unit of the 1870s. My plan is to increase them to twelve figures with a fun flag.
Finally, I was able to repair a civilian farm worker, and recruit a couple of armed British civilians. crew of four.
Popped over to see one of my favourite shops in Devon, and yes, I was pleased to purchase a handful of toy soldiers. Totally unknown to me were these Robin Hood Medieval men-at-arms. They were made by a company called Speedwell. Tempted though I am to repaint these figures, I might just leave them as they are, to furnish some figures for the castle battlements. I would welcome opinions on this point.














































Great blogpost Michael. I have a soft spot for aircrafts, and really like your presentation. I remembering having a similar constructed tin aircraft of a very early jet when I was a kid.
ReplyDeleteYour gaming room looks really nice.
Thanks Roger. I have promised myself to make some effort to prepare the games room for some actual wargames, hopefully with my next post.
DeleteMichael
Lovely tinplate aircraft Michael, especially the Italian one and great work on the Churchill figure, he really looks the part now. The Speedwell sheriffs men are quite hard to find and in nice condition, I don't usually have any qualms about repainting old figures but I think I'd be inclined to keep these as they are for posterity.
ReplyDeleteHello Brian. As you know, I normally end up repainting everything and anything that is missing paint, but this time I think I'll stand firm and leave them as they are, for service on the battlements. They don't look too bad on the gaming table and having no plans to integrate them with others my painting style is not required. I picked them up for about £1.80 each.
DeleteMichael