SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 22 September 2020

MEDIEVAL WARGAME 54MM

Here are some photos of a Medieval game I staged in early 2019. The figures are predominantly W. Britains belonging to the Herald range. I know most collectors prefer the Deetail range, but I remember both from my childhood and always thought the Herald's were clean-cut in their design and arguably more authentic in their armour. Although sold under the Britains label, the Herald range was actually produced in Hong Kong. Despite these figures dating back to the 1970s, its very rare to find any that have suffered plastic oxidisation/rot, which is a bonus. But I never liked the sticky-back designs on the shield, which reminded me of modern municipal coats of arms, or school blazer badges rather than anything authentic. Since most of them had largely worn off anyhow, I decided to clean and prime the shields and paint genuine Guelph (pro-Pope), and Ghibelline (pro-Emperor) heraldry for Italy during the 14-15th centuries. I should also mention, a large number of modern, cheap Chinese toy soldiers have also been drafted into the armies. These very inexpensive bags of figures include some real rubbish, but there are also some very useful castings, including a crossbowman, and I enjoyed painting them. All spears and lances were replaced with steel rods.



























Pleased to report that it was a great evening with George and Chris, a slight victory for the Guelphs, and the whole occasion was made even more appropriate with our Italian themed meal! (But never trust Medieval bombards, they will always crack unexpectedly.)

MGB


14 comments:

  1. MGB - colourful shots. Interesting how well the China made cheap plastic figures mix in with the Herald and Deetail, given the right / same paint treatment and time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree Mark, in scale and design they are very compatible. And they really do offer an opportunity to raise medieval armies on a small budget.... such as mine!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Terrific blog with inspirational figures. I really look forward to reading more about your games. I am delighted you are flying the 54mm flag so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allan, do hope you continue to find it of interest. My plan is a little less painting and a fair increase in gaming. Thats the plan lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! You mention that you think the Herald figs are perhaps more authentic in their armour than the Deetail knights - why so, might I ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hexeres, while I'm willing to accept examples can be provided to justify all kinds of variations, the armour on the Herald figures are simple and elegant, and look as if they have just been supplied from an Italian factory in the late 14th-15th century. And those Herald archers, their lack of plate armour works well for me. Granted, the Herald artillerymen do look a few centuries out of date. Its probably just a personal preference, I do know how popular the Deetail range is. I have recruited quite a few in my collection, nearly all my personality figures. Michael

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I also prefer the Herald style - simpler and more business-like, without some of the frippery that Deetail added (and personally, I just find those metal bases clunky). Aside from the plumes, I can't really fault the Deetail figures for accuracy though. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  4. Excellent. Well done. Very inspirational. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics - some fine old toy soldiers still doing there thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, still entertaining my young mind.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Ross, great hearing from you. Often visit your excellent blog and will wish to mention its one of the sites I visit.
      Michael

      Delete
  7. See Saracens & Turks for the new medieval opposition.

    ReplyDelete