SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 22 September 2020

UNITED STATES INFANTRY c.1880

With several successful Ebay bids I had accumulated a fair number of plastic guardsmen dating back to the 1960-80s period. Some of these were revamped for my British army but many ended up forming an American army for the period 1880-1900. This is my largest unit, wearing the regulation American uniform. It was easy work to remove the bearskin heads, then drill a steel pin into the neck to secure a home-cast head with a helmet, practically the same design as was utilised by the British Line regiments, which is lucky. I also include a model representing a mounted staff officer, this is also a converted Guardsman. 

MGB





8 comments:

  1. Just awesome - be warned, this hero worship is going to continue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great hearing from you Paul, just keep in mind the costs to my eyesight in doing this sort of thing, lol. And I have seen your own 54mm colonial collection!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Excellent head swaps - where do you get your recast heads from. I find that Prince August homecast spiked helmets work with Deetail guardsmen but are a little on the large side for Herald conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, some years ago I found a broken figure, decided to repair the helmet and face, and then I cast the head. It does mean I must hand drill the head and figure to accept a steel rod, but its still worthwhile.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Really unusual subject, do you know if state militias had different uniforms in this period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly Allan, it came as a shock to me to discover so many interesting state guard and militia uniforms, arguably more diverse than those in the Empire. Lots of future posts on this subject.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. I’ve been on the Company of Military Historians website and they have terrific prints which have really inspired me
    http://www.military-historians.org/company/plates/images/postCWUS.htm#z.
    I feel conversions coming on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me, I think you will find it slightly compulsive, I will put up some more United States units for your interest from other sources.
      Michael

      Delete