SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 28 September 2020

ROYAL NAVY PROJECT..... THE COST

I have just paid out a sum for second-hand Britains. Am I the only one to notice Royal Navy figures go for shocking prices. Having failed in quite a few auctions, I just gave up and bought seven figures for £29.95 delivered, the most I have paid for old castings. On the positive side, I already have a naval officer, so this gives me enough to man a coastal battery. Here's some photos of the figures. 

On a separate subject, but connected, last year I picked up two Britains no.1715 AA guns, costing £11 delivered. I thought this was a fair price but on inspection I discovered they were not only missing parts but the elevation section on both barrels were broken. Now I won't allow this to become a total disaster, I had been planning to use them as coastal artillery pieces. Because of this damage, have decided to go to work on them. First job, break them down, and file away the broken castings. Then a paint strip.  I'm now working with metal bits and bobs to create some new 'detail', but I want them to still keep their W.Britains toy look..... but in Ordnance grey and black. (This is not the first occasion something like this has happened, one of my 4.7" naval guns had a badly broken carriage, I decided to convert that into a coastal gun too, with metal parts from a curtain rail and watering can, see last photo, these coastal guns are very useful for creating scenarios on the wargames table.) 

MGB









6 comments:

  1. Very attractive repurposed coastal Artillery piece in grey.

    I have used two broken AA guns in an unusual coastal defence fort conversion.
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2018/10/14/from-old-digital-radio-to-54mm-houses-and-coastal-gun-emplacement/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, just visited your blog, that radio has made a perfect WW2-Modern coastal defence position. I will be using my 28mm pre-1900 positions. These are open-topped. Can confirm the two AA-guns are about 80% complete, and painted grey. I think they will do the job. I'm just pleased they are finally being utilised.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Great work on the 4.7 gun, it's always good to see an old piece given a new lease of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I'm having some real success with the broken AA guns too, my spares box is furnishing 'pairs' of interesting bits of metal and castings for added detail.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Some sailors on the way to bolster the troops Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I can't deny a few more would be useful, I was thinking if Gordon Highlanders (in return) would be useful for your Boer wargames?
      Michael

      Delete