SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 26 September 2020

Liverpool Scottish Regiment c.1900 (Conversions)

Prior to the arrival of some metal Highlanders from my friend Paul Watson, the original plan was to see what could be achieved with a handful of plastic Herald figures which I'd picked up from various sources. Now the Heralds were made in the 1970s, they are attractive, well designed, but are also prone to oxidisation/plastic rot. the musicians being particularly susceptible. Luckily, I had previously cast a suitable glengarry for a another project, and with my metal shouldered-arms, steel pins, and good superglue they are now quite robust. The next issue was to find something different to paint up. Here is the completed Liverpool Scottish, raised in 1900 for home defence, but also sending volunteers to the Boer war. I think their green-yellow uniforms are an interesting addition to my collection.

MGB

(Campaign news. By telegram, from Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Queen's Governor-General has advised Her Majesty's Government in London that Her Majesty's Government in Canada has become aware of 'interesting weather forecasts'. We can now confirm that a British expeditionary force departed from Liverpool Docks, without fanfare, this very evening. It is assumed they have been dispatched to assist Her Majesty's governments in Canada, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, in case heavy precipitation causes unnatural and peculiar inundations.) 







10 comments:

  1. A fine body of men, the new head and paint job make a massive improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, it was fun to make something out of these broken figures, and I thought these 45 year old toy soldiers deserved a second life lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. THey're fantastic and there's quite a few jocks more coming your way - would absolutely love to see them kitted out for the Boer War :) Hope you've got some ideas for Johillco kneeling jocks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, I have still to sort out something for your Boer collection, its only right!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great figures and painting. How do you prepare your figures for painting and do you use acrylics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, the best primer for toy soldiers, lead or plastic, are grey primers from auto supplies. They do still smell, but always give a clean, matt finish, and cost half the price of model primers. I changed over to acrylic paints some years ago, their quality has improved, drying quickly and no smell. I varnish all my 54mm in yacht varnish, which gives perfect protection.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Amazing what a difference a head swap can do. Splendid body of men, and the settings not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joppy, the settings are my 28mm scaled, but they will do for my wargaming in 54mm, and occasional photos.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Just as a matter of interest, what do you use as your sub-bases? Is it card or wood? I have used 1/8 wood previously, but find it a bit heavy handed.

      Delete
    3. I have used good quality mounting card for the last forty years, they have never decayed or warped, but I do also use MDF for larger bases.

      Delete