SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 25 September 2020

UNITED STATES CAVALRY c.1880

For my American army 1880-1900 I decided to convert and cast my own figure. The original torso was an old mounted Foot Guards officer. Knife work and Miliput was used to alter the coat, and then I added braid-cords, gauntlets, etc. The head, sword scabbard and carbine are cast separately. My 54mm cavalry units are only four figures strong, but I'm still glad the mould included the braid-cords and tassels on the coat. The mounts are plastic lifeguard horses. They are cast with a light saddle, and US cavalry just used a small grey blanket rather than a shabraque. Have also converted four dismounted lifeguards into US cavalry. Just added some home-cast arms and Miliput gauntlets. Having raised some regular cavalry, I couldn't resist having a unit of US Scouts in their distinctive red & white striped helmet manes. Picked up (six) damaged Deetail horses for £5 delivered.

MGB

(Campaign news. It really is a bit disturbing hearing about these constant manoeuvres just south of the border with British North America.)












12 comments:

  1. Lovely figures, they look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, have been working on and off for sometime. I think there is enough now to stage a mini-campaign. I liked those converted 28mm vehicles you have been working on!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Stylish conversions and castings. Is your footnote an ominous clue to future border friction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm implying nothing, Mark, but why are they having so many military manoeuvres in up-state New York, barely a few miles from the border, and a 'rifle competition' for west coast national guard units in Washington State? It all looks a bit strange. I do hope the Canadian government is being kept informed, just to be on the safe side!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! Great looking collection.

    There is an amazing variety of 19thC US uniforms just calling out to be done, esp volunteers. I love looking through the Company of Military Historians site, its enough to tempt a person to subscribe if one had spare cash but there are already more ideas in the free pics than there is shelf space so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross, thanks for the support. During the next few weeks I will be uploading some of the units I have raised for this fictitious conflict, I have information on, just quickly counted, 150 national guard units for the period 1880-1900, from contemporary sources, as used by the CMH. Only a small number really follow the Regular Army. But its worth noting, these uniforms were for parades, their fatigue dress is essentially the same as Union infantry or 1898 Spanish War. But as we are all using glorious toy soldiers, it would be daft to miss out on using the dress uniforms, its the whole point why I'm doing it.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Excellent figures- your photographs are a true inspiration for my own (albeit 42mm) toy soldier wargaming project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, thats very kind of you, but none of us are ever happy with our works. Pleased the blog has been of some value to you.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. This reminds me, somewhere in my display cabinet I have an old 'Men At Arms' model of a coloured US Cavalryman in full dress. If I get a chance I'll dig it out, photo it, and pop the result on my blog (Steel, Steam and Torpedoes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe two US regiments of cavalry were coloured, the 9th and 10th (Buffalo Soldiers). Had I planned it earlier, I would have painted one of my units such, for added distinction.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. See United States Cavalry for recent posts.

    ReplyDelete