SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 21 September 2020

UNITED STATES LIGHT ARTILLERY (HORSE) c.1880

This formed part of a satisfying series of projects. Having purchased a large quantity of 1960-80s plastic Guardsmen, made by Lone Star, Britains, Herald, etc, I not only raised some useful British units, but decided to experiment with converting these figures into an American army for the period 1880-1900. Here is my battery of Light Artillery. The figures having received some spare heads, and some replacement arms. The guns are restored W.Britains No.1263 models. There has always been an issue with military students as to what these guns were meant to represent, but they are still great toys, and they still fire matchsticks despite being over forty years old!  

MGB

(Campaign news. This Light Artillery regiment is presently on manoeuvres in upper New York.)







4 comments:

  1. Well done on finding some affordable 1263 field guns - for such a small piece of artillery they tend to pack a hefty price tag. They're great for adding to RN field gun teams as well I've one in tact and numerous ones missing spokes in the wheels. BTW - they look great rememebr seeing the original print and wasn't sure but, yet again, you've turned out some fantastic figures and, yet again, I'm in awe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I had some real luck a few weeks ago, I picked up a further two in mint condition on Ebay. To buy, £10 including postage for the pair. To my surprise, they were perfect, tow loop included. Original paintwork in great condition. So I now have two batteries of 1263's. I suspect the previous owner just wanted to clear them, and his listing was not that accurate?
      Michael
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Excellent unit and most fortuitous purchase.. Glad they are still able to fire matchsticks, they are a credit to their manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true, superb toys, considered too dangerous now, I bet.
      Michael

      Delete