SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 27 October 2020

AIRFIX GERMAN INFANTRY 1936-40

About a year ago I had the good fortune to pick up a box of over 300 plastic figures for £7 delivered. The scales varied from 50-54mm, and some were Chinese-made. But they all dated to the 1990s?, and most of the figures were Airfix, other good makes, or very fair copies. Having classified the contents in accordance to their size, portrayal, etc, some of these went to my nephew, Oliver, who has also become a keen collector. Some others were boxed in preparation of future plans. During the last two days I've used my hobby time to set about painting some WW2 Germans. Now I am not that well informed on the World Wars, so I had to do some primary research on how they should be painted. Thanks to the internet, and a YouTube video, I decided on the 1936-40 uniform, with their contrasting tunic and breeches, helmet insignia, etc. Must say, I quite enjoyed this little diversion, and I hope to base and varnish them in a few days time. 

MGB





10 comments:

  1. They have turned out very nicely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allan, I already have a Soviet collection, for service against Zubrowka, so now there is a third participant. With the above dated to 1939, who is to say whether the Germans and Soviets will not be fighting on the same side against Zubrowka?
      Michael

      Delete
  2. I remember these figures when they first came out in the late 60's (?) , there wasan article in the AIrfix magazine about turning them into WW1 German Stormtroopers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I had some Airfix magazines in the early 70s, with the red cover, a friend gave me a few. I also had these figures, but my ability to paint them was poor, I did not understand the need to prime them first. Oh well!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, I thought it would be a change from my main periods, and it was. Looking forward to basing them.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. You really have done them justice Mike! The early war German uniform works well for any "traditional" toy soldier collection. I have fond memories playing with similar figures as a child. I believe they were the same Airfix castings in 1/72.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, I'm old enough to remember the first box of 20mm Airfix German infantry WW2, they were quite small and lacking detail, then they produced a second 20mm box which, as you point out, is the same as these 54mm. They were vastly superior in their animation and detail. Hope that makes sense lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. These look wonderful! Looking forward to seeing them based and varnished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. I'm working my way through your blog, I find it interesting to see how the collections developed, and your game reports are also useful.
      Michael

      Delete