SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 31 October 2020

GERMAN AND SOVIET WW2 FIGURES

Yesterday I completed the basing of my 1936-40 Germans, inspired by games on  John's 54mmorfight blog. and also WWIIPlasticToySoldiers blog (see sites I like to visit). I'm also working on a dozen late war Germans, and they will look very different. In the photos I have included some of my Soviets, which I painted earlier in the year. When all are complete, I will have about forty figures in each army. I know some wargamers will squirm at gloss varnished WW2 but this is a feature to all my 54mm collections, and I love that look and protection on actual toy soldiers. 

MGB









8 comments:

  1. Classic figures with a shiny toy soldier finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic Airfix, indeed. Played with these same figures more than half a century ago, I have finally learnt how to paint them lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Heavily cammed figures dripping with foliage might look just a little contradictory in gloss but early war uniforms look just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, thats an very interesting comment, even on their helmets the foliage would look odd. My next batch of Germans may include some camouflage tunics which will probably look ok, but foliage would best be added after the figure is varnished, and kept distinct/matt. Its a good point you have raised lol. Still, all my terrain is matt except water.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. On a different yet related matter, I wasn't quite happy with my gloss bases, and decided to keep them matt as well,
      Michael

      Delete
  3. They look fantastic and even better that they are glossed! I have plans to gloss my plastic WWII figures as well, once I've gone through and touched up some chipped paint.

    Thank you for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John, I think the gloss has worked well too. Will aim to get a mortar and heavy machine gun for both sides. Not aiming to have armour however. Enjoyed viewing your blog, I'm nearly up to date with your posts.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. See WW2 for recent posts.

    ReplyDelete