SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 21 October 2020

NEW RECRUITS PAINTED & VARNISHED

Have just completed fourteen of the twenty-seven figures recently acquired. They comprise four American infantry musicians, which gives me two complete regiments of twelve. Ensign and musicians for the Irish Guards, it too now musters twelve. And I have also re-raised the Detroit Light Infantry, my previous version was a rather ad hoc unit which ended up being drafted into other units. I'm a lot happier with this new recreation, and they will be serving as skirmishers.

MGB






6 comments:

  1. These fellows have come up very nicely indeed. I look forward to seeing them in action...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allan, I took a middle line on conversion, influenced by Brian, some of the bearskins just had to have plumes, and I even raised the height on the Irish Guards hats to match those on the firing figures. I am very pleased with the Detroit Light Infantry, I like skirmishing units of six and they are quite vital on any attack, to reduce casualties on more formed up units behind them.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. I forgot to ask where you found an image of the DLI online. I can’t seem to find any for this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tricky one, I came across a modern colour image, giving a simplistic drawing with a rifle. I was initially suspicious, but then I found an old photo showing them at a railway station. They were wearing their fatigue uniform with the exception of their band master, who was obviously wearing his dress outfit, and it agreed with the modern image. Since all these units had over-the-top uniforms for formal wear, I was happy to go along with the modern image. I have information on about one hundred NG uniforms, and about 15% adopted bearskins, inspired by French grenadiers.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. These old band figures look very fresh and stylish, revealing the charming animation in such a "stiff" or tight figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, thank you, I actually want my 54mm to look like toy soldiers, so using the originals is perfect. Its also why I have decided to gloss varnish all the figures........... its giving me a great deal of pleasure, much more than my 28mm, to be honest.
      Michael

      Delete