SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 22 October 2020

PLASTICARD ARMOURED CAR

The cost of 54mm military vehicles can be on the high side. But I also have another issue. My 54mm collections are meant to be nostalgic, and often a diversion from strict historical authenticity.  

Something which I would have liked to collect, if time and funds allowed, would have been pre-1980 wind-up, tin plate tanks and armoured cars. I just love the imaginative designs, paintwork, and the fact that they can actually move. I've got on-file a fair number of examples, so the next step was to see if I could capture something of these toys for service on the wargames table. Using plasticard, this armoured car cost less than £5 to put together and paint, this was my first attempt and completed it in August this year. I will happily use it in any post 1930 games. (Have also included some photos which inspired its production, particularly photo-4.)

MGB











8 comments:

  1. Splendid armoured car, really wonderfully nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Allan, I think I judge my 25mm collections too much by accuracy, I want my 54mm collections to be just nostalgia and fun.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see the sources of your inspiration and your model really captures that quirky developmental appearance of 1930's armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, the toys made in that period remind me of some that appear in the H.G.Wells film 'Things to Come'. Which is a classic film too. Would like to make a few more, really quirky, models.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers Ross, I know its odd and toylike, but I love the excursion.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Splendid plasticard build and interesting source photograph inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My regret , Mark, is I did not experiment with plasticard sooner. I have about 50 photos of tin tanks that deserve to be recreated.
      Michael

      Delete