SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 14 October 2020

OLD TOY SOLDIERS recently acquired

Today a parcel arrived with a batch of old toy soldiers. Having paid £17 delivered, I'm quite pleased with them. I think the musicians are REKA-CRESCENT 1930s castings. Now I have several plastic and metal regiments which require a few figures more to bring them up to a strength of twelve, and also some odd numbered detachments that would look better mustering six figures. So these will be drafted, furnishing drummers, fifers, and buglers. 

While I'm happy paint stripping the castings, as they appear to have been repainted, I've got mixed views on any conversions. I think it would be wrong to commit surgery on these old toys, unless they are actually broken. (Opinions welcome)

MGB

(PS. I'm not sure what make the firing figures are, top row, but I already have eight in my collection, I'm assuming they are also Crescents?)





8 comments:

  1. An excellent, potential filled buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allan, just started on the project to restore them, 1. paint stripping. There is a lot of thick paint on these figures, clogging up the detail.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. I have always found the blue hackle of the Irish Guards very attractive on the table top in conjuncture with the red of the tunic. Very smart unit Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello George, Yes I do agree, it does stand out. I would like to use some of the new arrivals to complete this regiment to twelve figures. I'm going to convert a broken bassoon musician into an ensign. Regards,
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing the results.

      Delete
  3. Just to confirm that the standing firing chaps are indeed Crescent. Much improved by repainting I must say!

    The conserve/convert argument is a difficult one, I take the line that these were mass produced for children to play to destruction so I don't beat myself up too much about changing and repainting them, very few are truly rare. Having said that, there are some worn and chipped figures which I've retained in that condition because the patina of age has a quality I find aesthetically pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I was hoping you would view and give us your expertise on those castings. Thank you. I have already paint stripped them, primed, and used milliput to fill in any holes weakening the hollow castings, and there was a lot, some hidden with a kind of glue-putty, and also thick paint. This morning I sanded the milliput and primed again. Now I must confess, I have altered some bearskins to match others in a few units, plumes for the Irish Guards for example. But, I am also keeping in mind some of these have survived 90 years, a few years more and they become antiques. I know they aren't equal to 'Britains', but I still love having them in my collection.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. This unit has now been increased to twelve figures with colours.

    ReplyDelete