SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 16 November 2020

Unusual Diecast Artillery and Armoured Cars

I would like to upload some photos I've kept on file because they are a little different from the usual, I hope others will find them of interest too. 

MGB

The first is a blue BRITAINS 25PDR GUN, common enough in green and also khaki, this model has not been repainted.


This second gun is the popular BRITAINS no.1263 and again its in a dark blue colour. The other is a repaint. (On a previous post I have shown my own BRITAINS no.1292 gun, also in original dark blue.

                                          

Here are two BRITAINS anti-aircraft guns, the first is apparently listed as 1715 in a light khaki, and the other in green and numbered 1718. But here is a third in blue.


Here is a pre-war BRITAINS Rolls Royce Armoured Car. OK, they were listed as 'small' in scale, and they probably would look better used by those wargaming in 25-40mm scale figures, but I really like their toy appearance. With this one exception they have all been dark green, but I'm thinking this might be original paintwork, or at the very least its old? (Footnote, I'm hoping to utilise some of these vintage toy cars to serve with my WW1 and WW2 British infantry, also made by Britains. My plan is to distort their scale with larger/higher bases. I have noted others wargaming with 54mm scale figures often adopt smaller scale vehicles by choice.

                                       





I've heard rumours that BRITAINS may have issued some artillery pieces in red. I'm not sure who manufactured this gun but the paintwork could be genuine?



4 comments:

  1. I find smaller vehicles (and buildings) look better - plus they take up less room! The RR armoured car is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed MJT, I'm certainly happy using mainly 28mm buildings with my 54mm figures, so I hope the RR vehicles will also work. The crew are certainly larger in scale, which is something. But I must be honest, the vehicles are very small. Worst scenario, I restore them and enjoy their archaic look. My Grandfather was in the WW1 RNAS, a photographer, since I will be likely paint stripping the toys, perhaps one of them can join the RNAS.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I forgot to ask, what's the difference between H, HH and M referred to in the Catalogue above?

      Delete
    3. MJT, we both need a reply from others that view this page, I just assumed it was a design/designer code, perhaps linked to moulds previously produced by other companies. Looking at my figures, some are definitely 50mm, while others are 54mm.
      Michael

      Delete