SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 29 January 2021

184 LEAD TOY SOLDIERS ARRIVE!

I recently received a message from Paul Watson. With home improvements underway he had decided to clear some of his spare figures. Yesterday a box arrived.......... 184 lead castings, comprising Britains, Crescents, and modern reproductions. Aware that I was having problems raising French, it included 35 figures. As before, his only request is that the castings are restored!

MGB










12 comments:

  1. A welcome and generous gift. I look forward to seeing what you intend to do with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - Michael's skill in restoration is infinitely superior to mine :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mark, I spent part of yesterday communicating with Paul, discussing how best to utilise these figures. I want regular units to maintain the same scale and design. But some leeway can be given to skirmishing units, and even more for irregulars. I think this 'planning' stage is very enjoyable, but I can't afford to paint figures only to regret my choice later on........ must get it right!
      Michael

      Delete
    3. Hello Paul, I have started early this morning moving castings around, contemplating the best distribution, or what units would best enhance the collection or games. Great Fun!
      Michael

      Delete
    4. Ecstatic you're happy. There's more figures to go through, watch this space, my friend :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're going to be busy for a while MGB. Looking forward to seeing the results of your labours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, I certainly am, presently looking up uniform notes for various armies. Many of the British infantry are suitable to start painting straight away, and the naval figures only need some minor work to integrate. My Spanish brigade will be serving with the French........ its all coming together lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Oooh ! lots and lots of toy soldiers there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, it was a magical day when the box arrived! Will probably start with a simple project, perhaps the naval figures.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it...."

    Good stuff! There are some excellent "blokes" out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ross, it does look that way. I really have entered into 54mm wargaming in a big way, and the idea of restoring old toys to do it is a great bonus. Paul has certainly helped make it all more viable. Used some hobby time today to paint strip, clean up, and prime 30 figures...... its a start.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. See French Army 1870-1930 for progress.

    ReplyDelete