SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 1 February 2021

WORKING ON THOSE FIGURES, progress

As a follow-on to the previous post, have spent my hobby time working on the 184 spare soldiers recently received from Paul Watson. First job was to paint strip. Next step was to remove remaining paint with a sharp tool and file away any mould or casting lines. Some milliput was used on some castings but I prefer to carry out much of this work after they are primed; its easier to see any flaws and nicer to handle while replacing rifles, etc. Some figures will then receive a supplementary prime.

ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES

Two large riflemen did not require paint stripping, there was only a few chips on the paintwork and fine sandpaper removed any potential 'craters' if over painted. I then primed these areas with black matt enamel. New plumes and rifle extensions were drilled on, nice and secure. Tidied up the paintwork and varnished. (I'm very interested in obtaining a third figure, under my house rules they will need three figures to fire if serving as a separate unit, happy to pay or swap on a generous exchange.)

MGB





14 comments:

  1. They look good, esp for their age:).
    An officer or bugler to go with them perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, having rejected using AIP cavalry, too large, I'm being a bit of a hypocrite using these larger figures, but I like them and their age is to be respected. I have a unit of six KRR which are more typical in scale, and wear practically the same uniform. Paul sent me another figure which will mix in perfectly and I will convert a few more to increase their number. I will probably settle for the Winnipegs being a small detachment, useful in odd skirmishes, raids, etc.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. They look very smart.
    What sort of head went on the machine gun figure originally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flat peaked Service dress cap - there's an intact one on the way. I'll dig around for another rifleman, mon ami :) He might be missing a base but sure I've seen one :)

      Delete
    2. MJT. Yes, as Paul has mentioned, they are WW1 M/Gs with the peaked cap. With this one missing its original head, instead of just replacing it, I will experiment with something different.
      Michael

      Delete
    3. Paul, if you do have another of these larger riflemen, that would be very useful. I like the idea of having just a small detachment, but still able to have independent fire on the table. But please DON'T go all out to find it!
      Michael

      Delete
    4. found it - currently baseless (sorry) and cast with a flat ww1 SD cap - will pop it in the next batch that should go out over the weekend - 21 other figures we'd discussed, some field guns and a limber (possibly 2 if I can find it), couple of horses 2 sets of seated figures - a couple of Prussians and 2 ACW. Sure there are some of the smaller marching KRR figures around as well but only one so far - sorry but there are figures EVERYWHERE. They'll keep appearing in dribs and drabs unless you declare interest in figures I might have and I'll send 'em along) . What you're doing is superb, Sir :)

      Delete
    5. Cheers Paul, will sort out a donation towards a 'good' cause, and thanks once more for your efforts to help. No problem converting the rifleman if he needs a new base. Spent my hobby time today replacing broken rifles, uncannily, some broken zoo iron railings look just like the original rifles lol. Cleared about twenty-five.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. 184? My goodness. Well done on refurbishing the Rifles!

    Looking at the many headless figures, whenn you attach new heads are these glued on or soldered or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, It all depends on the figure. Hollow-cast figures and heads will require an insert of some kind in addition to glue. Traditionally, most people use glue & matchsticks, but I prefer to use a cut down steel nail with a quality superglue. Sometimes I use bamboo if the hole is quite large. I often find matchsticks in old figures previously repaired lol. On solid metal or plastic castings I drill a hole and superglue a steel rod, sometimes I use a nail. Please note, I sometimes have to construct a new standing collar on hollow cast figures, then I use milliput and drill as above.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Hello - can I ask how you strip the paint from your old lead figures? I have acquired some and I am getting confused (doesn't take much!) as to what method to use. A 50/50 mix of Dettol and water seems to be the best way I have read but I am wondering if there are any other methods especially as the bog standard Dettol is in short supply where I live! I have been inspired by your blog to start all this by the way! Best wishes, Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I use TX10 by Bartoline, its not expensive and if you give it about six hours, it does a good if messy job. Its reusable too if even more messy. Wipe off the worst of the paint stripper before you start the final stage with washing up liquid and brush.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Thank you Michael. I am off to order some now as I am itching to start. Best, Tom

      Delete
    3. Tom, the time taken to restore and repair old toy soldiers is a hobby in itself. I found it very rewarding, and to then use them on the wargames table was a bonus. Spares are readily available from Dorset Toy Soldiers, Replica Metal Soldiers, Langley (54mm) Models, and Irregular Miniatures.
      Michael

      Delete