SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 4 January 2021

WEST ESSEX REGIMENT c.1879

Have always liked the West Essex, it was the 'old' regiment with purple facings (there was another but changed over to white in the 1780s). When I decided to repair some broken W.Britains figures to raise a Line battalion I knew which regiment I wanted. Nice to see the original three figures now number twelve. Hope to complete their regimental flag soon. 

Can just be seen, the Royal Highland Regiment (in grey), and the Gordon Highlanders (in red) are now twelve strong. Not shown, the Durham Light Infantry have also increased from eight to twelve figures, 

MGB

 



4 comments:

  1. Your regiments are growing fast! Will they be seeing action soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, I hope so, I just want to see a few more figures complete. I know some people get relief out of painting figures, I get my buzz from clearing projects. No excuses, I will be having more games this year, the collection is nearly complete for the British Empire and United States. Ruritania is 2/3 ready. The Medieval is sorted. The Chinese-Japanese 1930s is complete. The Budapest Hotel is 4/5. There are some other 54mm projects and they are already sorted, and quite unusual.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Very nice!
    There was a very narrow window between the helmet being introduced in 1878 and West Essex being absorbed into the new Essex regiment in 1881 so a moment in time captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, thanks for clarifying that, I just assumed there was a brief opening for the helmet before the radical amalgamations. I already have a white faced regiment (plastic-converts) so wanted something different.
      Michael

      Delete