SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 13 February 2021

Cameron Highlanders

Recent recruits from Paul Watson have allowed me to practically complete the Cameron Highlanders. For a colour change, I decided to give this unit their Sudan 1898 uniforms. OK, the Piper should also be dressed as such, but its too good to paint strip. Just waiting to get some binocular arms for the officer and the battalion will be ready for action. At a later date I might repaint the bases a desert colour, but I do prefer green!

MGB







14 comments:

  1. Lovely work, great to see these fellows ready for battle again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, too nostalgic to throw away.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Nice , must admit I do like green bases .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tony, a good shade of green brings out the best in the toy soldiers.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, its a nice addition to the Empire army.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. I would stick with the green, it does detract from the overall impression of the figures. In my opinion it in fact enhances them. Lovely work as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, George, I think the green bases are a superior contrast. Will stick with green as I'm not texturing the bases.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. That should read "Does not detract", I don't think I had my glasses on when I was typing haha. You are aiming to capture the magic of traditional toy soldiers, it would only seem appropriate to stick with the green bases.

      Delete
    3. I guessed that, George. My viewing of the computer screen is actually crap, I don't like black script on bright white. Often have to correct things. I also have black spots in my vision, not unknown for me to wave my hands about in a frenzy trying to swat an imaginary fly, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. You really do work magic with these old figures! They are wonderful and will serve you well for a very long time! I also prefer green bases, it just seems right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, it does seem we all feel green is the best colour to display these traditional toy soldiers. So be it.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. Again; Bravo skipper ! What a fantastic new lease of life :)

    I'm in the green camp as well, for what it's worth :)

    ATB

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, Today I've been working on four odd figures to create an artillery crew, I think its worked.
      Michael

      Delete