SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 24 February 2021

FRENCH MARINES 1897-1902

Among the figures kindly supplied by Paul Watson were some slightly shorter (52mm) figures. So these would look best if kept in their own formation. Having already paint stripped them, yesterday I decided to remove their home service helmets, and repair their rifles. How to use them? I really need to increase my French army, and when I spotted a uniform plate, and a model soldier showing French Marines serving in China 1897-1902, the decision was made. Varnished late last night. Still to decide if I should add a blanket roll with miliput. Will construct a suitable officer to complete a unit of twelve.

MGB






12 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Blanket rolls would be a nice touch but then I seem to have a "thing" about blanket/overcoat rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, put it down to living in British North America, and also a Highlander too, its only natural you should want to see a blanket and overcoat on everything lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. A beautiful unit Michael! The drummer conversion is perfect! I can't wait to see the officer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I had a head start with the pale blue uniform, always looks good in miniature.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, this regiment has certainly put good use to the figures.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think so too, John, its the light blue uniform that wins every time.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Wow - fantastic group couple more of those 'at the ready' figures on their way. Will look round for a suitable officer figure. They are a work of art, mon ami :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I enjoyed working on them, and they have topped up the French army too. Will post up some photos of Kepi hat figures soon.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. This is an excellent unit and you have worked wonders upon them. Terrific work and I do like the atmospheric photo of them on patrol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, its always special when a new unit gets its varnish, and glows with colour.
      Michael

      Delete