SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 20 February 2021

BEDOUIN CAVALRY and FRENCH TIRALLEURS (new arrivals)

Recently picked up these two Arab cavalry figures. I think they are hollow cast, and are probably lead rather than Aluminium. Would be grateful for any information on their maker and age, I could find no markings or photos of similar items. In scale they are small 54mm, and look fine with most Britains. Cost £6.75 delivered, a bit dear but I like them.


Another purchase were five severely broken French Tiralleurs. They will need a lot of work to restore but good condition castings are so expensive.  Cost £7.20 delivered. This will be a tricky project!

MGB

8 comments:

  1. Interesting figures, I look forward to seeing what you do with them. Btw I am off to the P.O in a day or so. I would like to send recruits, what is the best way to contact you to know where to send them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan see previous post for my email, we can then exchange postal addresses.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Now those Frenchies are going to be a difficult to restore , good luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I will work with drill and steel nails, will also cast some pewter bases. I'm quite confident of the result but I do see it taking up some time as a project.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. You've got your work cut out for you with this project Michael! But judging by your past results, I've no doubt that you will astound me once again with your most excellent remediation skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad for the support, to be honest, steel nails, a non-crystallising superglue, and miliput will solve the single-leg casting, arguably as strong as the original lead product. My morale boost is knowing they are once more attractive to the eye.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Britians New Crown Arabs - I'll put some more in the box for you - how many do you need for a unit/ want ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Paul. I am keen on raising an Arab force as, with some liberties, they can be used through the centuries. When I picked them up I thought they might be Crescents or early Timpo, never thought they were actually Britains. Paul, I will leave it in your hands to decide, just don't put yourself out or interfere with your own projects. I will sort something out with a certain charity.
      Michael

      Delete