SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 4 February 2021

ROYAL SCOTS OF CANADA c.1885

Five more figures completed today, belonging to the Royal Scots of Canada, a volunteer-militia unit with a very fair military record. Originally raised in the 1860s, due to fears of an American invasion, its title has changed on many occasions, and were originally dressed as fusiliers. Interestingly, the unit wore white home service helmets with their highland dress for several years until funds were donated for the purchase of feather bonnets. The artist's rendition below should have stockings of red and white for this period, they adopted those shown at a later date. 

From my spares box I was able to replace several missing rifles, the spare heads came from castings now representing Spanish line infantry. A fun project. (Figures kindly donated by Paul Watson)

MGB



14 comments:

  1. They're stunning Michael - if I only had a tenth of your talent ... I'd still be rubbish but there's be an element of hope. More power to your paintbrush skipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats kind Paul, but having seen some of your own collection, particularly your work on the armoured train, I can't agree with the 1/10 evaluation, and thats the sure.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Fine looking figures MGB - nice print too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, I've had a good run during the last few days, lots of figures have been repaired, and main colours applied, which will allow me to concentrate on adding detail on another day.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures - those checked stockings must have been challenging to paint .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, to be honest, when I look at the photos I only see mistakes, my sight being not too good. I take comfort knowing they ARE toy soldiers and work as a group.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. An impressive looking unit. I had the same thought as The Good Solder Svjek regarding the checks. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it would appear I got away with painting them. as I just slapped the paint on, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, always a bonus to repair broken toys.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. I think this may be the first time that I've seen my old unit portrayed wearing spiked helmets but it suits the figures nicely and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps Surely you mean feather bonnets later on rather than bearskins?

      Delete
    2. You are right Ross, I will change that for others viewing.....thank you!
      Michael

      Delete
  7. This unit has now been increased to twelve figures.

    ReplyDelete