SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 15 April 2021

American, British, French, Spanish additions

Just completed another batch of figures. The largest is the 5th Massachusetts Regiment c.1880. Paul Watson had recently sent me a dozen cast heads belonging to the Britains RAF ceremonial band. At first I thought about using them as rifle regiment heads but when I saw the uniform of this American volunteer-militia unit I decided it would be a colourful project to recreate. Also recruited is a detachment of the 12th New York, in half-gaiters.




I
The British Empire has also gained some extra soldiers. Eight members of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. These are certainly modern reproductions. They arrived with fair paintwork but I still wanted to up their level so decided to paint strip them, having initially tried overpainting them but it looked poor being clogged up with paint. Now they look clean and tidy. Paul had also sent me some medical staff. Now the paintwork on these, and a rifleman, was not bad, just a bit of tidying up and some varnish was sufficient.
MGB



Finally, the Franco-Spanish army can also furnish more troops. Some legionaries, kindly donated by Alan Gruber, have been painted up. I now have a second artillery crew, and a rifle company (red breeches) to provide a rifle-armed guard for the artillerymen.
MGB
Some more broken Britains have been given new heads and shoulder ornaments to create Spanish Cazadores (Chasseurs). These troops are shown with red and later light blue trousers, and green distinctions.


MGB

11 comments:

  1. Who are the two ladies in the first picture by ? , not seen them before .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, sent by Paul, they are slightly different from each other in their design, both are nurses, both are solid so reproduction. Other than that, not a clue, no markings.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Tony, sorry, you might be referring to the original Britains farm ladies? Got those in an auction, missing arms and damaged, so put replacements on. The originals, I believe, come with umbrellas? Have seen them with original paintwork in a wide variety of colours.
      Michael

      Delete
    3. Thanks will keep an eye open for them on EBay

      Delete
    4. Sorry GBE (Great Britain and Empire) figures. Fat fingers, tiny keys :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent diverse work and lovely to see those Legionnaires looking so fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, nearly all the French were furnished by Paul, yourself, and George. With my Spanish converts, I can now field 130 figures. And there is an extra 28 French and Spanish still to paint up. Its a real mixture of figures, but that makes the army all the more interesting.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great work as usual Michael! I really like the Legionnaire conversions! The Americans and the Cazadores look very smart indeed! You have truly created a marvelous army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, I've enjoyed raising these units, but I'm keen to have a break from painting and use some of them in actual games. There are about 120 figures primed and ready, but would love to field the Franco-Spanish army and throw a few dice lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Excellent!
    I was about to ask when some of these figures would "get the lead out" and see action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, I have a genuine fear that to stop clearing the projects for some games might break the work-drive. It surprises many friends, I don't particularly enjoy painting figures, the pleasure is owning them. I've had bad seasons when I can barely open a paint pot and just end up tinkering with those already painted lol. But having completed about 100 figures during March-April, I need a break. (And I still have some recently completed figures to post up on this blog too.)
      Michael

      Delete