SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 6 April 2021

MARX TOY TANK, inspired

Have mentioned before how those early tinplate toys of the pre-plastic age have a certain appeal to me. They are actually very collectable and often have a price tag to match. Decided to have another go at constructing something to capture their character. Here is my rendition of a popular wind-up toy of the 1930-50s period. This basic design was adopted by both Louis Marx in the USA, and Triang in the UK, uncannily similar. For the fun of it, this model will join my 1880-1920 United States army, with Captain Louis Marx commanding.

MGB




Here are some examples which inspired the model and commander. (The originals had rubber tracks but adding such is something I'll consider at a later date.)




10 comments:

  1. Louis Marx would definitely envy your model Michael! It is just perfect, from the gorgeous eagle on front to the MARX logo on back! I especially like the heavy duty wheels. From the Britains naval gun? You are creating quite a stable of armoured vehicles, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely reply Brad, and you spotted the logo lol. Yes indeed, Having picked up two naval guns with broken carriages, the wheels were going spare. Placing these armoured vehicles next to the varnished toy soldiers, they look really colourful. They kind of remind me of WW1 aircraft paintwork.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, I think there is a slight drift towards exotic armoured toy vehicles for our 54mm toy soldiers?
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I confess I missed the logo and had to search carefully before spotting it. I blame tgexsmall screen and my failing eyes!

    What I didn't miss is how brilliant this toy tank model is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross, my drift into 54mm is an opportunity for imaginary national armies. These vehicles will only intensify my wargaming with shiny toys.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Mark, I want to war-game with something that looks like a Christmas toy shop window display c.1960.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, and I love what you and Tony have been doing with those Tank Museum WW1 models.
      Michael

      Delete