SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 15 June 2021

CONVERTING PLASTIC GUARDSMEN

Some time ago I picked up a collection of old plastic guardsmen for a few quid. I was able to form a small unit of Spanish infantry by replacing heads and adding superior pewter arms. But six others had the potential of serving in other capacities by using miliput to construct double-breasted tunics. I'm rather pleased with how they have come out.

Three figures are now representing Spanish Marine Artillery. They actually served in the previous war-game but with a new box of miliput arriving I've been able to add detail and varnish them.


Two more figures portray Spanish cadet officers. They can be attached to my army commanders, or serve as signalmen, as shown in the old illustration.


The finale figure joins my Spanish Army artillerymen, serving as their new commander.


 

These were fun projects although I confess putting them in the bin at one stage due to their poor condition, oxidisation of arms, etc. They are quite strong now with the pewter extras, superglue, and a good varnish. MGB


6 comments:

  1. The Spanish army seems a very smart wargaming project - must admit something I sadly know nothing about .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, to be honest, I adopted the project because I wanted a continental army. I had a load of British guardsmen, metal and plastic, the former supplied by Paul Watson, which could be converted into Spanish. They shoulder arms on the LEFT, and the tunic is similar to the British. I already cast a hat/head in 54mm scale which would pass as Spanish. Then Paul sent me some French lead, so I decided to raise both armies, to work together.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Ross, I think it is too, truly, I had thrown them in the black rubbish bag, only to search for them fifteen minutes later and adopt the 'Spanish conversion' plan of action..... glad I did!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work on the figures Michael and excellent reference pictures as usual! Thank you for the pictures of the guns too, I love to see them as close up as possible, they are lovely! With the oxidation problem, did you totally remove the oxidized parts, or do you have a way to stop the process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, if a figure is totally oxidised i.e. the torso has gone to chalk, I don't think its worth trying to save it. They often crack when drilling holes for metal pins. Fortunately, oxidisation is more likely on the limbs, which can be replaced with pewter or healthy plastic. Bare in mind, my intention is to produce a figure which WILL be handled, and must be able to maintain themselves, including any weaponry. I use a very cheap, Chinese made superglue which is superb, flows like water, leaving no residue but a gloss finish. Yet stronger than expensive brands. All figures receive car-spray primers, and when fully painted are given a coat of yacht varnish, less likely to go yellow. I do appreciate those seeking to preserve a toy soldier, for protected displays, might have a different view on oxidisation. Fortunately, have rarely found any Deetail figures with this problem and the few that have shown up I suspect had been cleaned with a detrimental chemical of some kind. I suspect oxidisation actually occurs with some plastics that have been stored in radically changing temperatures, possibly for years.
      Michael

      Delete