SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 23 June 2021

MORE FRENCH and SPANISH c.1900

Clearing more from my spares box has enabled me to raise another twenty or so French and Spanish soldiers.

In several games it had become clear armoured cars still need infantry support. Have now formed a firing unit of three Paris Army Firemen that will be attached to the French armoured car, and will be allowed to claim hard cover. I do think their 1911 headdress must have inspired the Adrian helmet adopted by the French Army in WW1.



My Spanish collection has gained three more Regulares cavalry. I usually require four figures but as this unit will always serve as skirmishers it will do fine, I will also allow them to fire from the saddle, and move.

Yet another cavalry unit for the Spanish, used milliput to construct the high kepi worn by some of their mounted cazadores

Nothing major but it is nice to see this French Marines battalion now mustering twelve figures.

Paul Watson kindly sent these castings. Their design was quite distinct so had to be kept in their own formation. Replacing the broken rifles and adding some tropical helmets, they now represent Spanish Cazadores.

MGB

10 comments:

  1. Find the Spanish Army very interesting all those different uniforms .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, the Spanish had formal, fatigue, and campaign uniforms, but every source shows a mix and match attitude. The style is very French in the 19th century but British, and later German, styles appear in the 1900s.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. They all look beautiful Michael! The French poster was an excellent reference find! Your cazadores are brilliant, I especially like the bugler, a very striking pose! And the armoured car is one of the best pieces that I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, when I spotted the poster showing a brass 'Adrian' helmet I had to represent them. I'm now working on a toy armoured car for my British Empire army.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Some fine unusual conversions and units - a striking print too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, There is a genuine morale boost restoring a broken toy into something that has colour and entertainment value. I agree, that poster is something special.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. The pompiers remind me a little of my Thyer Brigadia Britain's 54mm soldiers https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/repairing-broken-britains-thyer-brigadia-colour-party-finished-in-54mm/

      Delete
    3. Just had a view, Mark, yours have the English style helmet, which reminds me of that episode of Dad's Army.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. More splendid figures taking your armies forward, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, its been an interesting divergence from the British Empire and American armies. I also wanted something European.
      Michael

      Delete