SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 30 June 2021

RURITANIAN ARISTOCRACY

On a flying visit to Castle Zenda, Crown Prince Rudolph has decided to visit his half brother, Prince Michael. While there, no doubt, he will wish to sample the local grape produce. Also in attendance was Count Rupert of Hautzau. All uniforms are based on the 1952 movie Prisoner of Zenda. 

Here is Crown Prince Rudolph (Stewart Granger).

Here is Crown Prince Rudolph being assisted to walk.

Here is Prince Michael, Count of Strelsau (Robert Douglas). In my humble opinion the rightful and best suited ruler of Ruritania. Was he not always the most loved son of the late king (confirmed in the book). Do you ever see Prince Michael carrying out his duties in a state of intoxication? Ask the ordinary people, who would they prefer to be their king!



And here is the ever-so-brave Rupert, Count of Hentzau (James Mason). 



In keeping with the good order and zeal which Prince Michael injects into all his works, here is his own regiment of Stelsau Cavalry.

Also on active service, still dressed in mourning for the late monarch, two members of the Black Guard Cuirassiers (from the 1922 movie). These guards have taken a vow of silence (lol)!


With the coronation approaching, it is hoped that the transfer of the Crown will be peaceful, and orderly, God Save the King!
(All character figures are a real hotchpotch, made from bits in my spares box, and milliput.)
MGB 

9 comments:

  1. Huzza ! for Ruritania ! great looking figures .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, I have enough figures now to play some games, small infantry units 8-12 strong, about 50 figures a side. I completed these staff officers on Monday. I could also utilise some Spanish and those cavalry I picked up recently. But I want to complete some Ruritanian artillery crews, they do appear in the movie, five seconds worth lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Ah, movies and toy soldiers bring back very happy memories for me! Each Saturday my mother would give two quarters to my brother and I for the movies. This would cover tickets, candy, and popcorn! It also kept us out of mom's hair for most of the day! I'm sure she thought that fifty cents was a small price to pay for some peace and quiet! When we got home, we would head for our toy soldiers and reenact the grand adventures of all the films that we had seen! You have taken this practice to the highest level Michael in a very wonderful and detailed way! But when you come down to it, it is still all about having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubts certain films (shown on TV) played a part in instigating my love of history. The list is long, sadly, most of them date back to the 1960-70s. This rendition of Pr.of Z. always stuck in my mind. And I love the idea of recreating the characters from the film, still a few more to do. I know some can allow their minds to create fictional armies, but I like the discipline of having a source, and confirmed objective. (This project also allowed me to clear a load of 50mm WW2 plastic Germans, which I picked up for a silly £5 delivered.)
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Superb film with some excellent actors. I always enjoy seeing James Mason on screen. Remember watching him in "The Blue Max" (A favourite of my late-father). Really enjoying seeing these projects Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, have mentioned this before, James Mason is one of my favourite actors. But all the British character-actors in this film play their parts brilliantly. Hollywood having captured them all, its magic! Do seek out J.M. in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, and S.G. in King Solomon's Mines, R.D. in Ivanhoe, and Deborah Kerr also in King Solomon's Mines.
      Michael
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I adore King Solomon's Mines.

      Delete
  4. Stewart Granger starred in the 1952 film, not James Stewart. Somehow I can't imagine the latter being convincing as an English gentleman or Ruritanian aristocracy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, How on earth did that happen! Well spotted Sir I better change that mistake!
      Michael

      Delete