SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 3 March 2022

ARMOURED VEHICLES for 54mm


Firstly, my rendition of a MEKNA TOYS tank. Some time ago I constructed my first plasticard armoured vehicle. While pleased with it,  I was aware the scale was slightly too large, so it ended up on the shelf, never used. Decided to deconstruct, and reduce its scale to something I'm happier with. Here it is reconstituted, with logos, and a tank commander. I can confirm the model is inspired by a 1947 tinplate toy, details below. Decided to call mine a MEKNA 158 and it will serve in my Dominion Campaign and 'Toyshop Wars'.




The painted emblems are inspired by the Life Guards, the senior regiment in the British Army. Officially a heavy cavalry regiment, it forms part of the Household Cavalry, which is now an armoured reconnaissance unit. (Paul Watson sent me a handful of lead dismounted Life Guards, so it was nice to combine the two elements.)


The next project was this Saladin Armoured Car, made by CRESCENT TOYS. Its a very nice die-cast model. Picked it up in a charity shop for £3. But it did need some restoration work, the barrel and front of the body were chipped, and it required a totally new paint job. Since the Ugandan army used these vehicles, its been attached to that collection. Good that the wheels and matchstick firing gun were in perfect order.


(Delays in posting are due to garden fencing repair work!)   
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Splendid vehicles MGB - your plasticard model is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers MJT, its pure nostalgia for the style and colour of pre1980 Christmas toys, lol. And then using them to have a tabletop war-game.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. You've captured the flavor and style of the Mekna beautifully Michael! Pairing it with the Life Guards is inspired and works perfectly! I wish that I lived near your charity shop, you pick up some of the most interesting pieces there! The Saladin will be just right in Uganda, and it fires matchsticks too! What could be better? I do love your armoured vehicles, they are a toy soldier fantasy come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, I think we are on the same page for the pleasure we get in seeing traditional toys (or reproductions) being used in wargames. There is no way I could afford the original tin plate vehicles and guns, and I would want their paintwork as they originally looked too. Plasticard was the answer. Rather pleased with the die-cast Crescent, its a sturdy model, and takes restoration very well. So many were made in the UK that they still crop up on a nice day.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. That plasticard vehicle is a work of art! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats kind of you, John. I'm just glad to have something to capture the sparkle and colour of early military toys. I can't afford the originals!
      Michael

      Delete