SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 23 February 2022

MY JAPANESE 1930-45 ADDITIONS

Have just completed some additions to my 1930-45 Japanese army.

I had a number of Airfix figures with broken or badly moulded rifles. Decided to repair these with drilled lead additions, and see if they could form something interesting. Here they are representing a Japanese naval landing party. Milliput and a sharp knife did the work. Have taken a slight liberty by adding some special forces armbands.



Next up is a scratch-built 50mm TYPE 11 mortar with two converted crew.

I had a few charging figures and decided to raise an independent company with white fatigue/garrison uniforms.
Finally, some spares were brought together to furnish a supply horse, not quite a mule.
MGB

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Ross, I am rather pleased with the Naval landing party, a blue unit in the Japanese army adds a lot to the collection, and to think I came close to dumping them! Think its time to muster this collection for a photo shoot. Still planning on making an actual 1930s Japanese-made toy armoured car I have on file, keeping in with the 'toy look'.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Great work MGB - the landing party are particularly nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, not a difficult conversion but a useful/colourful addition to the largely khaki Japanese infantry.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I really like the Japanese landing party in blue Michael! They will really stand out on your table and the armbands are such a neat detail, making them very unique! Your mortar is just perfect, right down to the most minute detail, well done! I would love to see a new armoured car, you make them look like they were just purchased out of a 1930's toy store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, I need to order some plasticard before I can start on the toy armoured car. But had some success recently in a charity shop. Bought a rubbish Chinese-made modern toy which had four very acceptable wheels. Cost £3. So thats the main hurdle sorted for my repro 1930s toy!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. As ever they're magnificent, mon ami. Expert painting and research and incomparable conversion skills make for a varied colourful and infinitely interesting army. Long may it continue :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, it is good to restore something for the gaming table...... presently repairing my garden fence, damaged in the recent storm.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Just amazing and inspirational! Makes me want to get my painting and sculpting stuff sorted out. It would be awesome to see how you did the sailors with Milliput. I haven't done any conversions of that kind.

    ReplyDelete