SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 15 May 2022

NEW GUNBOAT

Some health issues have kept me from being as active as I would like, but have just completed another gunboat. This is based on an American tin toy made in the late 19th century. I'm claiming its a small coastal/river vessel serving with the US Revenue Marine (they changed their name to the US Coast Guard in 1925).

MGB

PS. Have named the vessel USS Alligator (actually used).

Original toy, the larger is also under construction.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you MJT, its a start towards a small fleet, if all goes well.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. You've really captured the essence of the original toy Michael! It is a beautiful gunboat and the cannon is just the right size! It should come in very handy in your future games! I also look forward to seeing the larger ship when it's complete, that is a very impressive vessel indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, I think the original looking toys work better with the 54mm collection than making some kind of historical reproduction. Thats my view!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! And just right. They remind me of the WW1 boats on Lake Tanganyika.

    I'm just catching up on posts. All most enjoyable. For some reason , I only see the updates on my blog list once in a while. I suspect they are there but I miss them when I'm busy and then they roll off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, I agree, these types of simple gunboats can cover a very wide range of scenarios, and as their size is relatively small, it is still possible to have some kind of fleet action in 54mm, if all goes well. I don't really promote the blog, happy that those that do visit find it of interest, but its still kind of you to mention it on your own blog. Thank you.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. What a smashing looking ship - handy when you have to send a gunboat to sort things out !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I really am enjoying my drift into 54mm rail and sea, the scenarios are just opening up! More vessels to come, if all goes well.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. My she's yar! (the only boat related term i know) Another fantastic build! Looking forward to seeing her in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, I can confirm the arms race has been redirected, towards the building of gunboats!
      Michael

      Delete