SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 29 May 2022

WW2 SOVIET GUNBOAT

My homemade, plasticard fleet has gained another ship, this one will support my 1930s-40s Soviet army. The collection had no artillery whatsoever but with the arrival of this coastal/river craft, and the recently completed armoured train, the Soviets can now supplement their small arms with medium artillery. Also shown is a converted Airfix US Marine, now serving as a petty officer. Behind the viewing tower is a position for a light machine gun and figure, this type of craft doesn't require a funnel. My plan is to eventually raise a naval landing party to work with this vessel.

MGB


Original idea for the gun

4 comments:

  1. Another beautiful warship Michael with amazing detail! The main gun looks exactly like the reference picture and the petty officer is perfect, right down to the stripes on his shirt! I especially admire your rivets, how do you make them? They look so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, I use railway track pins, cutdown. You don't need many, for your mind to assume its rivets!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. I have made a lot of use of that Airfix officer. He is very adaptable. Your boats are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Q, the figure came in a box of odds, often Chinese copies. No plans to raise US Marines, but I hate waste! Yes, the original plan was ten ships for the Dominion Campaign, but thats now changed. Three Empire, two US, two French, one Soviet WW2, and a merchant vessel. That should cover the scenarios, just one of the US still to complete. Then I'm back into Garden work, and time to play some wargames!
      Michael

      Delete