SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 29 October 2022

A GIFT FROM A FRIEND

A few days ago I spoke with George Mills, a member of a re-enactment group I formed many years ago. He mentioned, he was planning to clear quite a large box of toy soldiers, and could I use them? Outlining the contents, I mentioned some items would be very useful, while others could be of service to friends. Today, the box arrived, and it was quite an assortment.

First up. A Britains ACW Napoleon Gun with four crew. I'm thinking, these could be painted up as French 1870s.

Next, some original plastic British and American infantry. I will enjoy repairing these, and they will be useful additions to my post-WW2 armies.

The third batch comprised some home-cast(?) figures. They are solid lead, and appear to represent RAF airmen. There was also four naval figures, that will be converted to form a French gunboat crew. And two hollow-cast WW2 Tommies. 

There was a mixed parcel of plastic odds, and I will use them!

The fifth is a box of Victrix French Grenadiers. I don't see myself entering into the Napoleonic period in 54mm, will be moving these on.

Finally, there are about 70 English Civil War figures, and another 50 AWI figures. I think the first are A CALL TO ARMS, the latter are ARMIES IN PLASTIC. They are in good condition, but I prefer to game these periods in 28mm, so these will also be moved on.
Now, I really must thank George for his generosity. There are at least three or four collections that will be enhanced by their arrival. And even those home-cast figures can be altered, with my own home-cast peaked cap-heads, to furnish some important staff officers. MGB
ps. Apologies for the photos, British daylight from October till March is often a luminous mid-grey.... thank God part of this spell is broken by our Yuletide lights.

7 comments:

  1. A wonderful selection of figures Michael, I'm sure that you will work your usual magic on them! And you're right, that gun and crew will work perfectly as 1870's French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, It was a kind gift from George, the plastic infantry are now repaired, awaiting varnish, and are looking tidy and nice. Unfortunately, the lead pilots were lacking detail, being old, pure lead, home-cast, best they are mixed with tin to produce something more refined. Yes, that gun is a great gain!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Great find, some very usuful figures there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, George has been most kind, and that gun is a most welcome addition to my French army, the figures look great with the lead Britains!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike - I am glad several of the pieces will be of value to your collections. Hopefully the others will be of use in other ways. The majority of the figures, including the gun crew, were my late father's and I have many cherished memories of him working on them or telling me about battles he fought with them in his youth at home in Chelsea. I look forward to viewing the restored pieces on the table top and hope that they bring as much joy to you as they have done to me.

    With my very best wishes,

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George. Just been working on the four home-cast naval figures. Used milliput to enhance the naval hats, I think it has worked. This will provide a crew for my second French gunboat, something that needed to be sorted out. Yes, that Britains gun and crew are just awaiting varnish to be complete, again, a very useful contribution. Thanks again for the support!
      Michael

      Delete