SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 9 December 2022

NEW ADDITIONS for CHRISTMAS (Dec.9)

This is my last batch of painted figures for the year. Have just packed away my hobby paints, etc., to concentrate on home projects, and some socials during the festive season. 

Very much enjoyed working on these, I can remember having several Lone Star naval infantry in my childhood, formerly my late brother's. Picked up this batch for £8 delivered. I think they will prove most useful.

Winter storm at Sea!
Original condition

Also completed, two broken lead figures kindly supplied by George Mills. Rather than a typical WW2 infantry uniform, these will now serve as Royal Navy Reservists on sentry duty, they wore a blue version of the khaki battledress.

Next up, made of bits of metal, is a scratch-built Soviet WW2 Ampulomet. A rather strange weapon, it fired a glass bomb which on smashing would cover an enemy tank in a highly corrosive chemical. Thought to have a range of about 270 yards, fair numbers were used during 1941, but replaced by anti-tank rifles in 1942. Still, it makes an interesting addition to my Soviet army and will require some special rules for service. At eight shots a minute, its not to be mocked!

My Soviet army needed a suitable command base. These are recent swaps with Tim Gow.

The 18th Rifle Division, sixteen figures strong, is now able to take to the field. They are wearing the 1943 light khaki overshirts.


Among a batch of Starlux figures recently acquired were two broken medievals. They have been repaired and given an appropriate paint job.

Have also recruited a Starlux paratrooper, this gives me a unit of seven.


Have constructed from plastic and metal bits a third French artilleryman, to operate a mountain gun.

Here are some 1960s-made British Paratroopers with support weapons. Still to decide how to utilise the figures parachuting? For the moment, they will aid the others by celebrating any successful hits.

Quite common in the US, but not in the UK, this 1950s Lincoln Logs railway figure (lead) has been given a helping hand, using wire and Milliput. 


My battleplan is to now stage a few games during the holiday season, the WW2 Soviets and Germans having already been placed on the wargames table. 

Finally, I must thank Paul Watson for his generous sponsorship, and also George Mills for his kind donations during 2022.
Very Best Wishes for YULE!
MGB

7 comments:

  1. You have been very busy indeed Michael! Everything looks great, especially that Russian gun, so very unique! That deserves a special place on your table! I'm so glad that you are going to enjoy your holidays gaming with your marvelous collection! My best wishes to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, Brad. I do hope to play a number of games during this month, and then return to my researches in mid January. My spares box stands at about thirty figures, but no requirements on how to use them, so its a fitting time to redirect my energies. Yes, I do think the Soviet ampulomet is a novelty piece. May I also thank you for your postings of encouragement during the year. And very best wishes to you and yours as we celebrate tradition, family, and the birth of our great teacher.......... it is all quite magical!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Another great selection of figures, the Seasons greetings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony, lets hope for a season of good health too. I'm looking forward to several miniature battles this month, having cleared all the projects floating around my head. Time to enjoy the collection, I actually hate painting figures!!!! Happy Christmas to you and your family.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Must mention again, George. That 12pdr gun and crew really sorted out the previous lack of artillery in my French 1870-1920 collection. Fits in superb with the old lead Britains. Thanks again.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I am glad to see it has gone to a good home - Merry Christmas Mike and a happy, healthy and fruitful new year.

      Delete