SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 3 December 2022

SWAPS AND SOVIETS (DEC.3)

My WW2 Soviet collection has made some real progress. When George Mills sent me a batch of ECW figures, he confirmed they could be swapped for others more useful to my collection. Tim Gow took up the offer and the figures were swapped for nineteen Airfix Soviets, ten Hing Fat Soviets, and seven 1960s Lone Star British paratroopers. To this number, I was also able to pick up another batch of cheap Airfix Soviets on Ebay. So my original collection of twenty-six painted figures has substantially increased.

Here is the 10th Rifle Division. It served at Leningrad and also in the Baltic. Formed in 1920, disbanded in 1946. For simplicity, my battalions are given Divisional designations. This unit is fourteen riflemen and two LMG crew.

Here is the 17th Rifle Division. Formed in Gorki in 1920, it was wiped out at Vyazma in 1941. It comprises twelve riflemen.

Here are the Hing Fat figures, these will serve as elite or Guard troops. Just eight figures.

Here is the 150th Rifle Division. Raised in Vyazma in 1939, wiped out in Kiev in 1941. It comprises eleven riflemen, and one LMG crewman.

These are some converted figures, representing the 3rd NKVD Railway Security Division. Raised in Mogilev, they served from 1939 to 1942, then wiped out.

Not shown is another Rifle Division, sixteen strong. Still working on this unit, Will probably represent the 18th, raised in Kazan. Serving 1939-46.
MGB

SOME MORE FIGURES TO SWAP
George also sent some 54mm AWI figures. I already have a large collection covering this period in 28mm, so I would prefer to swap these for something else. I'm not counting heads, but I could still use 54mm naval figures, for example, Lone Star, Starlux, or old lead castings. I would also welcome 54mm French Foreign Legion figures, or figures that could represent late 19th/early 20th century French
The AWI comprise 20 Militiamen, and 38 Soldiers.

6 comments:

  1. Your Soviet collection is wonderful Michael! It's great how the different makers' figures can work so well together when they all share an excellent paint job by a skilled artisan! I especially like your standard bearer, something I always have when war gaming! I don't care about historical accuracy when it comes to flags, I want them on my table top as an elusive objective for each side to strive toward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I have the same view concerning flags. In my 28mm collections, many units have been recreated just because I liked their flag. Since my 54mm is decidedly a toy soldier collection, more flags are very likely to appear. Just working on another Soviet rifle unit, a command base, and a support weapon. Michael

      Delete
  2. A magnificent batch of soldiers! I have quite a few of the Airfix Soviets - the kneeling SMG is one of my favorite figures of any plastic toy soldier. If you want more pose variety, the Marx reissues aren't too difficult to find - they are a little slimmer than Airfix and Hing Fat though. I also recommend the figures from Supreme, although they are harder to find lately. They are primarily Italeri copies, in winter gear, and include a rather heavy looking mortar (with a bit steep of a firing angle) and, importantly, an ATR pose.

    I love your Orthodox church! Is that one of your scratch builds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I do like the look of the 1/32 figures produced by MARS, they include Russian Assault troops with two splendid HMGs. But they are a bit pricey, £20 for a box of twelve. Will have to see if funds allow. Problem is, I also need to increase my gunboat crew, another expense.Yes indeed, its made out of a kitchenware treen container I picked up for 50p, different types of cardboard, and some broken glass in a lantern. Made it as a Christmas project in December 2018...... hence the festive colours!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Stop painting stuff so quickly - you're making the rest of us look bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Tim, I haven't got time to read your post, there are figures to paint (lol). Pleased to report, last night the varnish dried on sixteen Soviet infantry, the 18th Division. Will move on to their basing today. Actually, we are having a social this weekend and I want to clear projects before the start of the Christmas festivities..... I guess this means I must have a bath and put some clothes on.
      Michael

      Delete