SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 15 March 2023

Large Box of Figures Arrive

Last Sunday, spotted what I chanced was quite a bargain. It comprised seventy-six Airfix figures for the price of £13, with free postage. I was in the market for some extra Japanese as I wanted to convert some into 1930s Chinese, with a suitable head swap. Today, the box duly arrived. Inside was the all important sixteen Japanese, in addition to seventeen British commandos, twenty-nine 8th Army, and fourteen US paratroopers. Only one 8th Army figure had lost its gun nib, all the others were perfect, and many of the 8th Army and British commandos had some very acceptable paintwork, too. 

But that wasn't all, the dealer had included a bonus boxed dvd of ICE COOL IN ALEX, a very fine wartime drama movie, which I have always enjoyed watching (several of my uncles having also served in the 8th Army). Here are some photos.

With such generosity, I made a point of sending my thanks, and a high review to match.
I can now confirm the paintwork is clean and tidy, with perhaps near 50% already done on the commandos and 8th Army!
MGB

2 comments:

  1. A most excellent bargain Michael, with some of the painting already done! Very hard to beat that! I look forward to seeing your converted Chinese soldiers, they should make for a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, just spending some time sorting out the commando battalion. Unfortunately, its been painted in khaki green. British WW2 are actually khaki mid-brown, its a common error due to Khaki green uniforms being adopted after WW2, And many of those jackets still survive. Many commercial toy soldiers are also painted green. I think several washes in brown will taint the colour. Yes, I need to increase my Chinese, to give them a chance against my fairly large Japanese army.
      Michael

      Delete