SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 13 March 2023

MORE NAVAL FIGURES!

Too late to participate in my recent wargame, have just completed the crew for my Soviet Gunboat. Had a spot of luck, picked up this box of Zvezda WW2 naval infantry (1/35 scale) for only £6.99 delivered. These boxes 'float' around for £15 plus postage. To be honest, I think this set is worth about £10 plus postage, so I'm still entitled to be pleased. Keep in mind, the figures do not come with bases, I had to construct mine out of some spare bits of plasticard. In putting them together, I deleted most of the infantry equipment, etc, as they are to serve with the gunboat, and I wanted them to look like they are operating it's guns. With the Airfix HMG convert, I now have a crew of six. There is also a laying down LMG figure but he will serve elsewhere.


On a related subject, I recently disbanded a surplus American 1890s battalion, and decided to reuse the old converted Foot Guards figures into something more useful. Here is my Japanese Naval Command base. I also gained two Japanese Navy petty officers, to go with my landing party. And, constructed a Japanese infantry command base, one of the guardsmen is a judicial officer (this branch dispensed with boots).

(still to construct banner)
Finally, I decided to paint up that 'Starlux' associated figure. It does look a lot cleaner!
MGB
PS, I'm back to my researches in late March and during April. Will try to get a few more posts uploaded before the 20th. And will return to wargames when I need a break from reducing my notebooks. Regards.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent additions to your Soviet crew Michael! They are a very lively bunch in active and useful poses. I especially like your bases and how they match the deck of their vessel! Best of luck with your researches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. Bases add so much to WW2 figures. I'm looking forward to returning to my notes. A good friend very kindly gifted another Mac computer just for storing my historical researches, He then removed all the unwanted connections, and this one will remain off the internet. Can't be bothered downloading updates all the time. By the way, may have acquired a bargain, lots of new military units. Will say more if it actually arrives.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Some excellent paint and scalpel conversions, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats kind, Mark, when I look at the photos I'm shocked the bits that still need tidying up, blame my declining sight. But it is good my Japanese now have some command bases, its about time.
      Michael

      Delete