SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 4 April 2023

BRITISH PARACHUTE REGIMENT Project (Part One)

I do get some real pleasure repairing old toy soldiers. My latest project is to work on a batch of Lone Star 1960s paratroopers. These figures aren't rare and they are a little dated, but their simple design is still quite attractive. 

My initial four figures were supplemented with seven more as part of a figure exchange with Tim (of 'Megablitz and More' Blog). Three auctions have now provided enough for my wargaming plans. The first for £10 included six figures. The second for £7.55 furnished twenty-seven! The third for £5.40 included eleven figures. 

CONDITION

Near half of these plastic toy soldiers have oxidised, but the design is robust and damage was restricted to gun tips. Using lead and superglue, all have been repaired (although the three flame throwers required Miliput work). The original paintwork was typically poor and had largely flaked off. Decided to give them a quality priming before applying the new paint. I also carved off all casting lines and flash.

RESEARCH

My next step was more fun, assessing how best to utilise the different figures. In the 1950s the Parachute Regiment was reduced to three regular battalions, with a fourth comprising a reservist (TA) battalion. Interestingly, each battalion has a shoulder patch in their own distinct colour. The first is crimson, the second is mid-blue, the third is mid-green, the fourth is black. This has led some veterans to purchase non-regulation flags in their battalion colours. I further discovered that each battalion also has their own section to act as 'support' troops, with mortars and heavy machine guns..... interesting. By the way, the rifles(?) are not accurate; it was a period of army transition.

PAINTWORK

Going back to the original toy paintwork. Lone Star produced these figures in two ranges. One wears a baggy smock and helmet. The second range has the 1940-50s field dress and berets. Noteworthy, the first range came in a variety of helmet colours, two shades of blue for UN service, two shades of green, and two shades of light grey (quite what the latter represented, I'm unsure). I intend to respect this, linking it to my paintwork, dark green for the first battalion, light blue for the second, mid-green for the third. The red beret figures will form the fourth battalion. This will also aid me in recognition, storage, etc.. Strangely, Lone Star painted the bases very dark brown, I will also apply this to one battalion to further assist in easy recognition. 

ESTABLISHMENT

I have calculated three battalions of twelve, and the reservist battalion of eight. I will also have a small unit of 'just landed' paras, and a Bren Gun Carrier with crew. 

The Main Delivery of Figures


Original Lone Star Helmet Paintwork....
Home Flags
MGB
ps. Can confirm the 3rd Battalion Paras are complete, just waiting for their varnish to dry.
Tim's blog, lots of battles.....http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Love to see restoration of Toy Soldiers MGB. This is a lovely looking project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, MJT. The first of the battalions look splendid in their new paintwork and gloss varnish, though I say so myself. Shiny toy soldiers, lol. They previously looked very drab in comparison, and broken rifles did not help. The flame throwers add a sparkle too!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Don't forget 7RHA, a good excuse to field a 25lbr.!!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats interesting, Hugh. I have a few figures spare, and a some 25pdrs. I like this idea! Regards.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great figures - some of mine were in action yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, my first battalion completed (3rd Para) includes mortar and bazooka figures formally in your employment. I look forward to seeing how you are using those that remain.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. You are a true "bargain hunter" Michael and you always come up with some very wonderful figures! But then to cap it all off, you turn them into little works of art that look like they should be in a museum! I can't wait to see the results of this latest project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very kind, Brad. Being frugal is a necessity, and then making something out of them is a morale boost. I'm texturing my Airfix figures, but I want these Lone Star soldiers to look like toys, with simple bases.
      Michael

      Delete