SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 5 April 2023

3RD BATTALION, PARACHUTE REGIMENT, painted and ready (PART TWO)

Here is the first battalion, of four, which will provide my collection with some post-WW2 rapid deployment troops. I like to think these fellows will find service in the garden, on a hot summer's day. Thats the plan.

In keeping with their character and possible activities, each battalion of paras is a self contained fighting unit. In this case they comprise six infantry (small arms, 2 Dice throws), a HMG team (2 Dice), a bazooka, a mortar team, and a flame thrower. I will occasionally allow a bonus to their dice in respect to their elite status and training, just seems right! 

The flame thrower figures often arrive broken, a metal rod and Miliput sorted out the problem. Dark brown bases, respecting the Lone Star tradition. Not bad for plastic toy soldiers that are over half a century old.

MGB

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers MJT, hope to have a go at the second battalion later today. I'm enjoying this restoration project.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful job of taking tired old soldiers and making them much better than new Michael! These Lone Star figures have a very charming "toy" feel about them and I love seeing them out in nature! Thank you for bringing back spring memories of garden battles fought long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Brad. I do agree, they have a genuine charm. By the way, I got caught out on their detail, I originally painted a second strap for the pistol pouch, to the waist belt. They actually have an additional moulded strap, round the leg! Luckily, I spotted it, and before varnishing, but it just shows the castings deserve to be fully painted.
      Michael

      Delete