SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 10 April 2023

CHERILEA 1950s LEAD FIGURES

I recently picked up eighteen lead figures, described as Cherilea WW2 Americans. Looking at some photos, I thought the paintwork might be original. If it was, I was keen to simply base them. On arrival I discovered several figures were other makes, and four had broken weapons. It was also clear they had received a rather indifferent 'camouflage' paint job over the original paint. Since the latter looked rather poor, decided to paint strip. 

Looking at the castings, I decided to split them. Several were wearing different moulded uniforms, and three were a very distinct scale. Still, I have enjoyed working on this new project. The eighteen figures cost £8.99 delivered. My plan is to form them into nine US Army infantry, six US Marines, and three smaller US Marines.  The latter will be attached to a small jeep in my collection.

Footnote, just completed

Here are the completed US Army infantry. Don't mind admitting the uniform was tricky to replicate, and rather drab in colour (lol). Have also attached a plastic 1960s Timpo figure.

Original Eighteen
Reproduction Gear
MGB

4 comments:

  1. Exact WW2 uniform shades are confusing to obtain. However, there is fading in the field, which adds to the variation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q, you are right. The 'temperate', or D-Day uniform can be found in several shades. Most toy manufactures paint their Americans in the green adopted by the US Marines. The latter will be a lot easier to paint.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. They match your reference picture perfectly Michael and look better than new! It's not an exciting uniform, but historically accurate and very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. Must confess, my first attempt dried a shade too green, luckily a wash of skin stain converted it into the khaki-tan I wanted. Actually, the contrast with their trousers works quite well. My poor 'drab' joke is misplaced as it was their armoured vehicle choice of colour. Yesterday, completed another ten figures, mainly US marines, in a definite green!
      Michael

      Delete