SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 7 April 2023

PARACHUTE REGIMENT, another battalion completed (Part Three)

Pleased to report that the 2nd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment (aka 2 PARA) is ready for service. Respecting the previous paintwork of Lone Star during the 1960s, I have given these figures United Nations painted helmets. Since 2 PARA use blue as their battalion colour, it sort of made sense to link the two. In keeping with their UN portrayal, have given this battalion the two mine detectors.


Footnote: In my spares box was a plastic American Indian, decided to convert it into an extra Saracen.




MGB

6 comments:

  1. Great work MGB. I really like the Armoured Cars (Saladins?) - are they DInky Toys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, they are Crescent Saladins. Scale wise, better than most, I would guess about 1/36. I picked up mine cheap but it was my intention to paint strip them so condition wasn't an issue. Used by the Brits during the 1950-70 period, but quite a few countries still use them today!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Good to see these smartened up, repaired and treasured. A few of these surviving 1960s Lone Star paratroops were some of my mysterious elite forces passed down from older members of the family to fight, rare exotic figures amongst my readily available and still on sale bashed up Airfix 54mm figures when I was growing up. Still in use for games ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely comment, Mark. But it only reminds me how much I was encouraged to get rid of mine. If the plan was to foster other priorities, it was a total failure, lol. I can remember one Christmas when my present was a wristwatch, I thanked my parents, but would have preferred toy soldiers. Forty five years later, still have ithe watch, but I don't wear watches or jewelry, and I still want more toy soldiers!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great paint job on the UN troops Michael, they really look the part! Brilliant conversion also, I love his shield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, some years back I compiled a note book of Saracen and Moorish flags and shields, shown in medieval works of art. Although many are the imagination of Christian artists, my notebook has half a dozen with simplistic lion heads. Thought it would be fun!
      Michael

      Delete